History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Windlestone Hall Residential School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Windlestone, County Durham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.6525 / 54°39'9"N

Longitude: -1.5929 / 1°35'34"W

OS Eastings: 426361

OS Northings: 528676

OS Grid: NZ263286

Mapcode National: GBR KG9M.XZ

Mapcode Global: WHC59.HBP5

Plus Code: 9C6WMC34+2R

Entry Name: Windlestone Hall Residential School

Listing Date: 9 January 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1160327

English Heritage Legacy ID: 112288

Location: Windlestone, County Durham, DL17

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Windlestone

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Coundon

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(South side)
Windlestone Park

9/88 (inset) Windlestone Hall
9/1/68 Residential School


House, now County Council residential school. Circa 1835 rebuilding, by
Ignatius Bonomi, for Sir Robert Johnson Eden; Bart,, of C16 house; said to
incorporate part of rear wing rebuilt c.1750, Billiard room added second half
C19. Ashlar sandstone said to have come from Gatherley Moor, N, Riding; rear
service wing rendered with ashlar dressings. Roofs thick light grey slates,
not visible from front. Long U-plan.

Main range, facing east, 2 storeys, 3:1:3:2:3 bays, 12 in all, and one-storey
2-bay billiard-room block breaking forward at right end. First 7 bays treated
symmetrically, with projecting balustraded smooth Doric colonnade, with
triglyph frieze, on stylobate: wide central bay projects and is tetrastyle;
paired columns in flanking bays. Aproned sashes behind colonnade, with 3 in
central bay. Recessed eighth and ninth bays have colonnade continuing main
building line, with frieze as at left, but no balustrade: steps up to double
doors with long flanking sashes. Aproned first-floor sashes, with wide
pilasters flanking window over central colonnade projections. 3 right bays
have similar windows on both floors, the upper on floor-levelband continuing
from cornice of colonnade. All sashes have fine glazing bars and plain
reveals. Roof balustrade continues around returns, the left of 8 bays,bays 2
and 3, and 7 and 8,projecting; statues in niches in first bay. Right return
has large apse. Billiard room in similar style to main building with
projecting square bay at left, and half-glazed door at right: roof balustrade
with ball finials: high corniced wall at right to conceal pent extension on
right return. Hipped roof.

Rear elevation of main block has steps up to half-glazed door under bracketed
hood. Rear service wing, on long arm of U, has 2-light windows in Tudor style.

Interior: small entrance hall with elaborate stucco ceiling decoration, in
same style as that over main staircase, leads to long passage, which opens at
south into full-height hall with 2 pairs of Ionic columns, finished in
porphyry-like scagliola, in east towards garden and on north towards stair.
These support classical frieze with low-relief scenes in style of Parthenon,
with marbled panels filling upper walls: ceiling has 2 glazed domes on
guilloche-moulded drums, and stucco coats of arms between the domes. Glazed
partition on east: possibly this was intended to be the main entrance, with
a change in an early stage of planning. On north, Imperial stair, with 2
slender diabolo balusters per tread and turned newels, supporting ramped
handrail: richly-decorated panelled ceiling with initials 'RJE, WE AND RE'.
Library opening from south of hall has veneered fascia over bookcases,
shelves lost, with slender brass balustrade to balcony in front of upper
cases: dummy books conceal entrance to upper level: C18-style marble chimney-
piece. Most doors 6-panelled, in panelled reveals, with architraves. Many
original chimneypieces.

North apse contains cantilevered stair with cast-iron balustrade. Room to
north-west of main hall, now kitchen, probably former drawing room, has change
of floor level; coved ceiling has (probably C19) rococo-style stucco decoration:
central swirling acanthus leaves; coving with baskets of flowers, thick trails
of flowers, oak-leaf and other classical mouldings, shells and brackets:
partly obscured by insertion of ducts from ovens. Billiard room has stucco
decoration on coved ceiling in Jacobean style with strapwork panels. C17
panelling, transferred by Eden family from their house at West Auckland,
now in Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle.

Sources: H.C. Surtees, History of the Parish of Coundon, (Mainsforth) 1926,

Anthony Eden, Earl of Avon, K.G., P.C., M.C., Another World 1897-1917, 1976:
and information from Mrs. J. Crosby concerning ceiling design signed by
Bonomi, thus confirming the frequently-made but never supported assertion that
he was the architect. H.C. Surtees thanksLady Eden for help, and seems to
have seen family papers, but gives no proof for the attribution he makes to

C20 rear addition not of interest.

Listing NGR: NZ2636128676

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.