This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.4346 / 52°26'4"N
Longitude: 0.2333 / 0°13'59"E
OS Eastings: 551916
OS Northings: 284194
OS Grid: TL519841
Mapcode National: GBR M61.CSZ
Mapcode Global: VHHJ6.025G
Entry Name: Outbuilding to West of Tower Farmhouse
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160886
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49475
Location: Downham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Downham
Built-Up Area: Little Downham
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Downham
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 58 SW DOWNHAM TOWER ROAD
4/22 Outbuilding to west
5.2.52 of Tower Farmhouse
Outbuilding formerly the gatehouse to the Bishop of Ely's Palace. Built for
Bishop Alcock (1486-1500). Red brick with deeper red brick diaper patterning;
plinth coursed in English bond with chamfered limestone band, limestone dressings
to quoins and openings. Reroofed with corrugated iron. Possibly of several original
storeys, height reduced to two storeys with walls and door jambs in rear elevation
of rear wing demolished. South elevation: Pedestrian entrance to left of centre
through moulded four-centred arch with panelled overmantel and superimposed crocketed
ogee arch enclosing a cock, the rebus of Bishop Alcock. Windows with round-headed-
lights, drip moulds and chamfered mullions, two single-light ground floor windows
and one three-light window to right hand of entrance; one large five-light window
reduced in height at first floor and two single-light windows to right hand.
Interior: The original plan was of an entrance hallwith guardroom and doorway to
staircase from the cross passage with an inner room to the right hand. The end
room was possibly tunnel vaulted and the hall has springings for two bays of fan
vaulting. The room divisions are repeated at first floor. The Lease of 1746 'with
covenant to repair tower said to have been gatehouse... into a good farmhouse'.
Bishopsic of Ely Lease Book. June 1746, P318-321
R.C.H.M. (notes and measured drawings) 1977
Pevsner: Buildings of England p330
Patterson, W: The Village and the Church 1974
Listing NGR: TL5191684194
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings