History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Moat House

A Grade II Listed Building in Kingston, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1799 / 52°10'47"N

Longitude: -0.0354 / 0°2'7"W

OS Eastings: 534422

OS Northings: 255336

OS Grid: TL344553

Mapcode National: GBR K64.9VY

Mapcode Global: VHGMR.BGMQ

Plus Code: 9C4X5XH7+XR

Entry Name: Moat House

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Last Amended: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1163070

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52158

Location: Kingston, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB23

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Town: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Kingston

Built-Up Area: Kingston

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Kingston All Saints and St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in



Moat House
22.11.67 (formerly listed
as Library
Farmhouse (formerly
called Queens
College Farmhouse)

Manor house. C.1500. Open hall and crosswing. Floor and stack inserted
C17. A bay at the east end was replaced in C19. Timber framed, now
roughcast rendered and tiled. The West crosswing has a half hip at the South
end. Ridge stack inserted 4.11.1664, but the four grouped shafts have been
rebuilt (c.1984), and the original dated bricks have been removed. Plan of
open-hall with crosswing at west end. Internal evidence indicates that the
hall extended by one bay to the east, probably for the service bay. Hall of
two storeys. Two C19 casements-at first floor and one at ground floor.
Modern door and doorway probably on site of original entry to cross-passage.
Crosswing also two storeys with one, three light window to each storey.
Interior: Open hall of two bays. Quartered ceiling with stop chamfered main
beam. Wide arch braces to tie beam of display truss over open-hall. Jowled
posts. Roof of clasped side purlin construction with paired wind bracing.
The purlin is jointed at the collars. One of these joints occurs at the east
end indicating that there was another bay. There is no evidence of smoke-
blackening in the roof, suggesting that the open hall had a chimney
originally and that this was replaced and a floor inserted in 1664. The
crosswing, probably a parlour wing, has an ogee chamfered main beam and
heavy, hollow moulded joists (some modern). The roof is of similar wind
braced side purlin type. On a moated site.

R.C.H.M.: West Cambs. Mon. (4)
V.C.H.: Cambs. Vo. (p,l14-lls)

Listing NGR: TL3442255336

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.