This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6927 / 53°41'33"N
Longitude: -2.2032 / 2°12'11"W
OS Eastings: 386681
OS Northings: 421828
OS Grid: SD866218
Mapcode National: GBR FT1Q.TZ
Mapcode Global: WHB8J.4F4Y
Entry Name: Stubbylee Hall
Listing Date: 19 June 1968
Last Amended: 30 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1163375
English Heritage Legacy ID: 185636
Location: Rossendale, Lancashire, OL13
Electoral Ward/Division: Greensclough
Built-Up Area: Bacup
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Tunstead Holy Trinity with Bacup St Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 82 SE BACUP STUBBYLEE LANE
7/59 Stubbylee Hall
19.6.1968 (formerly listed as Bacup Town Hall)
Large house, originally 1809 (datestone over rear stairlight), rebuilt
or remodelled and enlarged 1872 (dated on left return wall) now Council
Offices. Sandstone ashlar, hipped slate roof with ridge chimneys.
Roughly L-shaped plan, 5x3 bays with rear wing to left. Two storeys,
in classical style: symmetrical 5-bay facade composed of 3-bay centre
flanked by slightly projecting segmentally curved wings, all these with
panelled pilasters at the corners, plain frieze and moulded cornice with
low parapet (carried round sides without parapet). Pedimented centre
bay breaking forwards slightly has porch with coupled pilasters at the
corners, engaged Ionic columns in antis, prominent cornice and balustraded
parapet, and above this at 1st floor a tall window with cornice on
consoles. There are 2 windows on each floor of the curved wing bays and
one on each floor of the inner bays, all sashed with glazing bars, and
above those at 1st floor are narrow horizontal panels. Return walls have
3 similar windows on each floor, but those at 1st floor front are blind;
and left return wall is linked to the rear wing by a short recessed bay with a
round-headed doorway, pierced pseudo-parapet, 1st floor window with
architrave, and parapet lettered AD 1872. Rear has, inter alia, a tripartite
stairlight with round-headed lights, above the centre of which is a
datestone with scallop decoration in the corners and inscribed lettering
H (James Holt?).
I & A
Interior: large stairwell with stone imperial staircase (of one flight and
then two) protected by heavy classical wooden balustrade panelled,ceiling with
moulded plaster decoration to the beams, and spherical domed skylight with
stained glass margins; other fittings and furnishings survive, e.g.
built-in cupboards and bookcases, but some have been relocated. History:
"Stubby lee" occupied in 1825 by James Holt, baize manufacturer; and in
later C19 by James Maden Holt MP.
Listing NGR: SD8668121828
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings