This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7506 / 50°45'1"N
Longitude: -3.5514 / 3°33'5"W
OS Eastings: 290651
OS Northings: 95697
OS Grid: SX906956
Mapcode National: GBR P0.N0CS
Mapcode Global: FRA 37G3.685
Plus Code: 9C2RQC2X+6C
Entry Name: Cowley House
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Last Amended: 25 October 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1164175
English Heritage Legacy ID: 86111
Location: Upton Pyne, East Devon, Devon, EX5
District: East Devon
Town: East Devon
Civil Parish: Upton Pyne
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Newton St Cyres St Cyr and St Julitta
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
UPTON PYNE COWLEY
SX 99 NW
3/61 Cowley House
11.ll.52 (Formerly listed as Cowley Place )
A moderately large house. Built shortly after 1788 for William Jackson of Exeter by 'Mr Hicks, builder' to plans by Jackson's father, another William, 'musician and painter of Exeter'. Stuccoed. Slate-hipped double-span roof behind blocking course with moulded cornice. Moulded stringcourses at first and ground floor levels. Double-depth plan. 2 1/2 storeys. 3:1:3 windows, right and left in 3-storey, 3-window segmental bows. 12-pane sashes with glazing bars. Second floor smaller 6-pane sashes. Central segmental-headed doorway with fanlight and panelled double doors and moulded cornice above on console brackets. Reset above doorway a small C17 figure, armed and standing over a running hart. 2 storey, 2 bay, right-hand (north-east) wing with 12-pane sashes and first floor moulded string course. Semi-circular central stair bay at rear. C20 single storey wing to south-west.
Interior: little survives, but what does is of good quality; an elegant dog-leg
staircase with scrolled balusters and oddly decorated newels crowned with ogee
finials and, at each stair angle a semi-circular wall niche. The stairwell windows retain their original leading, and the original doors have been retained throughout.
Sources: William Jackson's letter of 1788 contains a rough draft plan of house and grounds, and is in the possession of Midland Bank plc, Regional Office (Devon).
Listing NGR: SX9065195697
Other nearby listed buildings