History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Tenement and Yew Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop's Tawton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0545 / 51°3'16"N

Longitude: -4.0453 / 4°2'43"W

OS Eastings: 256749

OS Northings: 130342

OS Grid: SS567303

Mapcode National: GBR KR.FWHY

Mapcode Global: FRA 26DB.KTG

Plus Code: 9C3Q3X33+RV

Entry Name: Town Tenement and Yew Cottage

Listing Date: 18 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1164202

English Heritage Legacy ID: 98514

Location: Bishop's Tawton, North Devon, Devon, EX32

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Bishop's Tawton

Built-Up Area: Bishop's Tawton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Bishops Tawton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bishops Tawton


SS 53 SE
7/35 Town Tenement and Yew Cottage


Tenement farmhouse, now 2 dwellings. Probably Cl5/early C16. Extended in Cl7 and
again in C19. Whitewashed rendered cob and rubble with cement slurried slate roof
with gable ends. Lateral hall stack to rear heightened in brick and stack at
gable end of rear dairy. Axial stack formerly service end stack. Originally 3
room and through-passage open hall plan the roof pitch heightened at upper end in
C16 but remaining single-storeyed until C17 (possibly 1624 by datestone over
fireplace) when floors were inserted and stairs inserted in through-passage.
Right-angled dairy extension to rear of service end also probably C17. Lower end
extended in C19 by adding single bay forming overall T-shape plan. 2 storeys.
6 window range of horned sashes with marginal glazing bars to lst floor. Door at
left end with 2 late C18/early C19 3-light casements 6 panes each light to each
side of cross-passage doorway with C20 door. Interior: chamfered beam to parlour
and chamfered hall fireplace lintels. Panelled shutters to hall window. Scroll-
stopped chamfered fireplace lintel at lower end with 1624 datestone above. Cast
ironwork fireback dated 1662 initialled C.P. 2 bread oven openings. Ancient
settle (known locally as the "Bishops Chair") to right of hearth. Kitchen window
has been reduced in width. C18 door of 2 large panels at head of stairs to Yew
Cottage. Interesting roof structure with 2 levels of smoke-blackening. Sequence
of 4 trusses. Raised cruck truss one lower end of through-passage (that over
lower end has been replaced). Smoke-blackened with threaded purlins, diagonally
threaded ridge purlin and cranked collar morticed into blade soffits. The foot of
rear side blade has been truncated due to rear additions. A clean truss sits
directly over it considerably heightening the ridge, nevertheless, matching the
level of the third truss over the hall which is also heavily smoke-blackened with
threaded purlins. Clean truss over upper end is probably a C18 replacement with
side pegged collar, but smoke-blackened rafters extend to gable end. Later
patching and additions to trusses has further raised roof level. The ceiling to
chamber over hall has been dropped leaving part of C17 plasterwork cornice
concealed in roofspace.

Listing NGR: SS5674330341

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.