This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1468 / 51°8'48"N
Longitude: -2.7127 / 2°42'45"W
OS Eastings: 350242
OS Northings: 138861
OS Grid: ST502388
Mapcode National: GBR MK.84JL
Mapcode Global: VH8B3.XFRP
Entry Name: The Abbey Retreat House
Listing Date: 20 June 1973
Last Amended: 15 March 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1167617
English Heritage Legacy ID: 265893
Location: Glastonbury, Mendip, Somerset, BA6
Civil Parish: Glastonbury
Built-Up Area: Glastonbury
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
863/8/69 CHILKWELL STREET
20-JUN-73 (Southwest side)
The Abbey Retreat House
(Formerly listed as:
House; now Church of England retreat. 1829-30; by John Buckler, for John Reeves. Altered and extended circa 1850-60; altered 1957. Tudor Gothic. 2 storeys plus attics in gables. Freestone. 3 gabled bays come forward, the central bay with entrance. Moulded cornice. Crenellated parapets. Slate roof. Clustered stacks. Stringcourse. Moulded plinth. 6 mullioned and transomed windows of 2 and 3 lights with arched heads, all in square hoodmoulds. Central 1st floor window has carved corbel in form of an oriel. 4-centred arched doorway with carved spandrels. Double doors under porch. Lower 2-storey 4-window wing to right. Attached to north side of the house the service wing was extended into a small stable yard in about 1850-60.
INTERIOR largely intact, including Tudor style panelled doors in moulded doorcases, moulded plaster ceiling cornices and friezes, panelled window shutters, chimneypieces and original cantilevered main staircase with a Gothick cast-iron balustrade and servants' stairs with stick balusters. In 1957 the drawing room was converted into a chapel and the window on the east side was blocked. The Abbey Retreat House, Glastonbury Abbey (see Magdalene Street), Wall around grounds of the Abbey and Abbey Retreat House, and the listed buildings from No 3 to No 17 Chilkwell Street (North east side), all form an important group.
NOTE: In 1825-6 the ruins of Glastobury Abbey were bought by John Reeves, who commissioned John Buckler to design this house, which was built in 1829-30 with the ruins of the Abbey in the grounds.
An early example of the Tudor Gothic style, designed by the architect and antiquarian draughtsman, John Buckler.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings