This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7238 / 50°43'25"N
Longitude: -3.5294 / 3°31'45"W
OS Eastings: 292144
OS Northings: 92687
OS Grid: SX921926
Mapcode National: GBR P1.8SDF
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H5.8V8
Entry Name: Remains of St Catherine's Almshouses
Listing Date: 29 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1169749
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88948
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX1
Electoral Ward/Division: St David's
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Central Exeter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Remains of St Catherine's
SX 9292 NW 3/85 29.1.53
Endowed by the will of John Stevens, proved in 1460. 2 storey building of Heavitree
stone, containing originally dwellings for 13 poor men. Some original square and
pointed stone windows remain on the curved frontage to Catherine Street and Chapel
Lane, also the pointed stone doors and windows of 3 or 4 of the dwellings opening
onto a very small internal court. In this court excavations after the damage revealed
two fragments of Roman pavement. There is also a fireplace.
Listing NGR: SX9214492687
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings