This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9053 / 50°54'19"N
Longitude: -3.3292 / 3°19'45"W
OS Eastings: 306636
OS Northings: 112600
OS Grid: ST066126
Mapcode National: GBR LQ.RBDJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 36XQ.2V0
Entry Name: Ashford House (Flats)
Listing Date: 5 April 1966
Last Amended: 11 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1170447
English Heritage Legacy ID: 95825
Location: Uffculme, Mid Devon, Devon, EX15
Civil Parish: Uffculme
Built-Up Area: Uffculme
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Uffculme St Mary Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 01 SE
Uffculme Ashford House (flats 1-15 consecutive)
A block of fifteen apartments;the historic core of the building was formerly a school;dated 1701,with extensive C19 extensions.The older block of brick in a inconsistent Flemish bond;gable end slate roof.Later extensions in random rubble sandstone and brick,also with gable end slate roof.The interior of the older building has been so altered in its conversion to apartments that its original plan is no longer retrievable;it forms an L-shaped range,the main front facing east,the wing standing forward of the right-hand rooms was extended in the mid C19;the two late-C19 blocks added to the south are of little historical interest.Exterior Front (facing east):five,(originally six) window range.First floor with one three-light casement window with latticed glazing bars,the remainder of two-lights,some with old leaded panes.A first floor door has been inserted and is approached by an external flight steps.Ground floor:two post 1701 doorways;otherwise casement windows of two and three-lights,C19 and C20.An oval plaque bears the legend 'This School and School House was given and endowed by Nicholas Ashford Gent of Taunton St Mary Magdalen,AD 1701'.Bellcote on roof ridge,timber with panelled pilaster at the corners,surmounted by a leaded ogivally-shaped cupolo.South facing three-window range;two tripartite four:twelve:four pane hornless sash windows flank a twelve-pane hornless sash window with a small latticed single light window to extreme right.Ground floor:wide double doors,panelled,under canopy with shaped brackets;to either side a tripartite four:twelve:four pane sash window(one horned,the other hornless);a later door with rectangular overlight to the right upsets the symmetry of the front. A one window bay extension to the right,recessed slightly,with a sixteen-pane sash window to ground floor,and another sash window to first floor,three-panes up,six down.Internal end stack.The rear'of both these ranges with casement windows,almost all of them C19 or later.The late C19 random rubble extension with large four-light windows with stone transoms and surround,the south facing front with three separate gables;the late C19(or early C20)brick extension with similar windows of timber.Some joinery fragments of the C18 survive internally.Although very altered,Ashford House makes a major contribution to the village scene.
Listing NGR: ST0663612600
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings