History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

15, Market Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.871 / 51°52'15"N

Longitude: 0.1595 / 0°9'34"E

OS Eastings: 548769

OS Northings: 221359

OS Grid: TL487213

Mapcode National: GBR LCD.R4T

Mapcode Global: VHHLV.Q75K

Plus Code: 9F32V5C5+9R

Entry Name: 15, Market Street

Listing Date: 11 July 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1176529

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160947

Location: Bishop's Stortford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM23

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Bishop's Stortford

Built-Up Area: Bishop's Stortford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bishops Stortford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Bishops Stortford

Description

1.
5253 MARKET STREET
(East Side)


No 15
TL 4821 SE:3/101

II GV


2.
C17 brick, remodelled mid/late C19 probably by G E Pritchett, extended in 1890 by
G E Pritchett in same style, incorporating early C17 timber-framed house in Devoils
Lane. Painted stucco in Italianate style, old tile and slate roofs. L-plan with
single-storey extension in south corner. Three storeys. Parapetted over modillioned
cornice. Round-headed sash windows in elaborate surrounds, those of first floor are
single light with panelled pilasters and moulded architraves and keystones. Second
floor windows are mainly 2-light in apron frames with pilasters and plain heads.
Projecting chimney on south with sunken lancet panels at top. Single-storey canted
bay on south with pilastered ground floor and parapet of cast iron railings between
moulded pedestals. Similar single-storey extension on east which adjoins early C17
gable end. This is 2 1/2 storeys, slate roof, with round-headed, 2-light, ground and
first floor windows. The property was remodelled as Bishops Stortford's first Head
Post Office in 1890 and has important townscape value in Devoils Lane and Market
Street.


Listing NGR: TL4876921359

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.