History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Oaks

A Grade II Listed Building in Myddle, Broughton and Harmer Hill, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8058 / 52°48'20"N

Longitude: -2.8016 / 2°48'5"W

OS Eastings: 346055

OS Northings: 323439

OS Grid: SJ460234

Mapcode National: GBR 7F.W9Z5

Mapcode Global: WH8B6.YQ1W

Entry Name: The Oaks

Listing Date: 29 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1180190

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260095

Location: Myddle, Broughton and Harmer Hill, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Myddle, Broughton and Harmer Hill

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Myddle St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


15/100 The Oaks

- II

Cottage. Circa 1600 with early C18 addition and other late C19 and
C20 additions. Timber framed with painted brick nogging; thatched
roof. Framing: c.1600 large square panels, 2 from sole plate to wall
plate. Early C18 light framing. Baffle-entry plan of 2 framed bays.
One storey and gable-lit attic. Central brick ridge stack. North-
east front: 2 windows; C20 three light wooden casement to left and
C20 two-light diamond-leaded wooden casement to right. Roughly central
late C20 boarded door with gabled porch. Flanking probably late C19
one-storey additions with hipped slate roof, that to left with 2-light
diamond-leaded casement to front. Probably C19 lean-to addition at
rear. Interior: right-hand room with chamfered spine beam and chamfered
joists (with ogee and plain stops). Blocked fireplace with chamfered
wooden lintel. This has been identified (Hey) as the cottage occupied
by the Hughes and Hanmer families in the C16 and C17 as described by
Richard Gough in his Antiquityes and Memoryes of the Parish of Myddle
(1701). The plan appears to have begun as a single-cell end lobby
entry plan cottage (possibly open to the roof) which was extended to
the east c.1700. A photograph in Hey's book (1974) shows the cottage
with a graded slate or plain tile roof. Richard Gough, Ed. D. Hey,
The History of Myddle, Penguin (1981), pp.244-6; David G. Hey, An English
Rural Community: Myddle Under the Tudors and Stuarts, Leicester University
Press (1974), pp.167-9.

Listing NGR: SJ4605523439

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.