This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9748 / 50°58'29"N
Longitude: -1.6775 / 1°40'38"W
OS Eastings: 422740
OS Northings: 119537
OS Grid: SU227195
Mapcode National: GBR 63W.W5C
Mapcode Global: FRA 76CJ.Q9B
Entry Name: Hamptworth Lodge
Listing Date: 9 February 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184207
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319739
Location: Landford, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Redlynch
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Redlynch St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
REDLYNCH HAMPTWORTH ROAD
SU 21 NW
9/206 Hamptworth Lodge
Country house. 1912 by Sir Guy Dawber for H.C. Moffat. Flemish
bond brick and timber-framing with brick nogging in different
patterns, tiled roof, groups of different ornamental brick stacks.
Large rectangular plan on north-south axis, with main rooms to
south end and services to north. Informal Elizabethan style. 2-
storey, 9-window front on east side. 2-storey porch with Tudor-
arched stone doorway to left of centre, stone ovolo-mullioned and
transomed leaded windows to either side with 2-storey canted bay to
right lighting back stairs and square bay to left. First floor to
right is jettied, with wooden mullioned windows. Good lead
rainwater heads with initials HCM. Gabled roof has finely-carved
bargeboards with vine and floral decoration, groups of decorated
octagonal stacks. Left return has wooden and stone mullioned and
transomed windows, recessed central bays with projecting gable of
hall to left; full-height mullioned and transomed window to square
bay. Similar gabled roof. Rear is long garden front with tall
hall windows to right and large lateral stack with diaperwork and
pair of diagonally-set chimneys, to left is pair of 2-storey canted
bays to dining room and simpler windows to services to left. Right
return is service entrance in plain Flemish bond brick, 2-light
leaded casements and plain paired square stacks.
Interior: very fine details in wood throughout; full-height oak
panelling to ground floor, especially fine in gallery in Ionic
pilasters and carved doorcases, and in open hall. Hall has 5-bay
arch-braced collar roof with oak panelling and naturalistic rose
carved frieze, Tudor-arched stone fireplace with strapwork
overmantel and herringbone brick back, fine bronze light fittings,
organ gallery with carvings executed by H.C. Moffat. Open-
well stairs with closed string, squat turned balusters. First
floor bedrooms with panelling in pear, cedar, walnut and oak, all
with segmental-vaulted ceilings, some plaster decoration, stone
Tudor-arched fireplaces. Built to replace an early C17 house
demolished in 1910, parts of which are incorporated in the service
end of present house. The builders were Mussellwhite and Son of
Basingstoke. (Building News, June 13th, 1913, VHC, Wiltshire Vol.
Listing NGR: SU2274019537
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings