This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1462 / 52°8'46"N
Longitude: -1.4025 / 1°24'8"W
OS Eastings: 440982
OS Northings: 249937
OS Grid: SP409499
Mapcode National: GBR 7RS.D7T
Mapcode Global: VHBYC.MBX1
Plus Code: 9C4W4HWX+F2
Entry Name: St Joseph's Cottage the Old House
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1184307
English Heritage Legacy ID: 306124
Location: Avon Dassett, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV47
Civil Parish: Avon Dassett
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Avon Dassett with Fenny Compton
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
AVON DASSETT AVON DASSETT ROAD
SP44NW (East side)
4/15 St. Joseph's Cottage and The
30/05/67 Old House
(Formerly listed as Old
Convent "St. Josephs")
House; now divided into two. Dated 1679, with early C19 wing (Wood-Jones).
Regular coursed ironstone, with alternating wide and narrow courses; left return
side of wing is of brick with brick dentil cornice. Old tile roofs; main range
has coped gable parapets and C19 ashlar end stack to right; other end stacks of
C20 brick. 3-unit plan with later through-passage, extended to L-plan by wing
added to front at angle on left. Wing and left bay form The Old House. Main
range 2 storeys and attic; 2-window range. Wing 2 storeys; front windowless.
Doorway has moulded jambs. Moulded shallow 4-centred arch with sunk moulded
spandrels, large lintel and elaborate hood mould with lozenge stops. Original
ribbed and studded oak door. Moulded datestone above has initials I.A.D. 3-light
mullioned window with hood mould to left and right and to rear; ground floor
window on right is 4-light, with lowered sill. Right return side of wing a
one-window range, with 3-light casements and painted wood lintels. Left return
side has door and casements under segmental brick arches. Sash on first floor.
To rear: formerly 3, now 4-window range, with mid C20 mullioned windows inserted
between first and second bays. Central doorway has C19 ribbed door and
overlight, with painted wood lintel beneath hood mould. C19 lean-to with slate
roof to left bay. 4 late C19 gabled roof dormers have 2-light casements with
glazing bars. Interior; stop chamfered ceiling beams. Noted as having staircase
with flat shaped balusters, probably earlier C17 and imported. Principal bedroom
noted as having fine angle fireplace with moulded arch similar to entrance and
cornice. According to Wood-Jones the doorway "provides the last dated example of
a four-centred arch" in the Banbury region. Said to have been used as a convent.
(R.B. Wood-Jones: Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region: 1963,
pp.115-118, 267, 268, 270, 275, 292; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.80).
Listing NGR: SP4098249937
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings