History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Group of 11 Monuments on North Side of Chancel of Church of St Mary and St Nicholas

A Grade II Listed Building in Leatherhead, Surrey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2928 / 51°17'33"N

Longitude: -0.3267 / 0°19'36"W

OS Eastings: 516771

OS Northings: 156177

OS Grid: TQ167561

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.6BX

Mapcode Global: VHGRV.9R4V

Entry Name: Group of 11 Monuments on North Side of Chancel of Church of St Mary and St Nicholas

Listing Date: 24 August 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1190464

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290509

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, KT22

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Leatherhead South

Built-Up Area: Leatherhead

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Leatherhead

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TQ 1656 SE (south side)
Group of 11 monuments on north
side of chancel of Church of
St Mary and St Nicholas


Group of 9 monuments comprising 5 tomb chests and 4 headstones 2 with
footstones, in an area approx 12 metres square. Mostly later C18. All of
limestone. The tomb chests are all of the same design, with moulded plinths,
rusticated corners, and lids with moulded edges, and they are arranged in
2 short rows from north to south as follows. commemorating;

(1) William Stone (d. 1787) (3) George Cooper (d. 1852)
& Hannah Stone (d. 1798)
(4) Thomas Peter Stone (d. 1837)
(2) Mrs Mary Peter (d. 1771)
& Thomas Peter (d. 1779) (5) Mrs Elizabeth Wood (d. 1777)

Between (2) and (5) are 2 headstones which commemorate:

(6) Sarah Goddard (d. 1774): scrolled top, carving with draped chalice, footstone
against the rear;

(7) Ann Peter (d. 1769): small, with wavy top and large elaborately designed
carving including 2 cherubs; inscription with flourishes.

At the north-east corner of the group are the other 2 headstones, both with
footstones against the rear, which commemorate:

(8) Richard Hurst (d. 1751): elaborately shaped and carved top with hourglass;

(9) John Hurst (d. 1791): shaped top, carving with hourglass and foliation.

Listing NGR: TQ1677156177

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.