This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0498 / 54°2'59"N
Longitude: -2.8038 / 2°48'13"W
OS Eastings: 347469
OS Northings: 461832
OS Grid: SD474618
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.S0
Mapcode Global: WH846.XG0Q
Entry Name: 7, Castle Hill
Listing Date: 18 February 1970
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194937
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383067
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NW CASTLE HILL
1685-1/6/34 (East side)
(Formerly Listed as:
(South East side)
Castle Temperance Hotel)
House, now flats. Mid C18, altered C20. Coursed squared
sandstone with ashlar ground floor and dressings, coursed
rubble to rear. Stone slate roof and gable chimneys.
Double-depth plan with, originally, a staircase projection at
3 storeys plus attic above a cellar, and 4 bays (though
proportioned as for 5) with raised quoins to the right, a band
above the ground-floor windows and another linking the lintels
of the second-floor windows below an eaves cornice with a
gutter carried on slender iron brackets. The return wall on
the right has a window on each floor, that on the first floor
being somewhat taller. All windows have raised plain surrounds
and (except for those to right of door) 12-pane sashes. The
attic is lit by a dormer with sloping roof. The central
doorway has raised plain surround and 12-panelled door. The
windows to right have, on all floors, tripartite stone
surrounds, with 20-pane sashes and blocked sidelights. The
rear shows signs of alteration at an early date, including
vertical joints which suggest that the staircase, lit by a
2-stage window, was originally in a central projection.
INTERIOR: full-height dogleg staircase with closed string, 2
turned balusters per tread, broad moulded and ramped handrail,
fluted rectangular newels and a wreathed curtail at the foot.
HISTORY: known as the Castle Temperance Hotel until 1950.
Listing NGR: SD4746961832
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings