History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

20, Castle Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.0491 / 54°2'56"N

Longitude: -2.8051 / 2°48'18"W

OS Eastings: 347383

OS Northings: 461757

OS Grid: SD473617

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.H8

Mapcode Global: WH846.WHD8

Entry Name: 20, Castle Park

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1194943

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383085

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


1685-1/6/53 (South side)
22/12/53 No.20
Castle Park House
(Formerly Listed as:
(with stables))


House. 1720, altered C19. Built for William Birdsworth, a
lawyer, and his wife Margaret. Sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings, roughcast on the front elevation and lined out as
ashlar blocks between chamfered quoins. Slate roof with a
small flat-roofed dormer, and gable chimney stacks.
3 storeys above cellar and attics and 5 bays, with a central
square projection at the rear to contain the staircase. All
the windows have moulded architraves and 8-pane sashes. Above
the central first-floor window is a datestone inscribed: BW+M
1720. The elaborate painted stone doorcase has engaged Ionic
columns supporting a pulvinated frieze, an entablature with
dentils, and a segmental open pediment, panelled both in its
soffit and its tympanum. Its door has 12 raised and fielded
panels, and is recessed between similarly panelled reveals.
INTERIOR: entrance hall has marble floor. Double-depth room to
left has very good painted raised and fielded panelling with
Corinthian pilasters. Right-hand room has similar unpainted
panelling, but with Ionic pilasters. The room was probably
altered in the C19 when a front cloakroom was created and the
rear wall extended. The first floor is divided conventionally
and has similar panelling with Doric pilasters. The second
floor has a matching dado which is said to be a C19
alteration. The fine dogleg staircase rises to attic level and
has full-height panelling until the half-landing above the
first floor and thereafter a panelled dado. It has an open
string with carved scrolled brackets, 2 turned balusters per
tread, and a ramped handrail.
HISTORY: built by William Birdsworth, a lawyer, and
subsequently owned by Allan Harrison, the Recorder of
Lancaster between 1731 and 1747, who probably added the
doorcase and made many of the internal alterations, including
the link with No.22 (qv) to the left. His daughter and
heiress, Ann, married Lt. Col. George Wilson, the builder of
Abbot Hall, Kendal. The house was owned by the Satterthwaite
family from c1780 to 1932.

Listing NGR: SD4738361754

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.