This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0468 / 54°2'48"N
Longitude: -2.8024 / 2°48'8"W
OS Eastings: 347560
OS Northings: 461505
OS Grid: SD475615
Mapcode National: GBR 8PWN.22
Mapcode Global: WH846.XJQZ
Entry Name: United Reformed Church
Listing Date: 22 December 1953
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1194996
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383167
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4761NE HIGH STREET
1685-1/7/133 (East side)
22/12/53 United Reformed Church
(Formerly Listed as:
Independent chapel, now United Reformed Church. 1774, probably
at the expense of John Dawson of Aldcliffe Hall; enlarged and
remodelled internally in 1833; altered C19 and C20. Sandstone
ashlar, with ashlar dressings, and rubble at sides and rear.
Slate roof. Roughly square plan: the original chapel, built on
a north-south alignment, was doubled in size in 1833 by the
addition of a rear extension at right angles on the east side,
built over a basement.
The west facade is a symmetrical composition of 2 storeys and
5 bays, with rusticated quoins, an eaves cornice, and coped
gables. The ground-floor windows have stone surrounds with
cambered heads: those in the second and fourth bays were
restored in 1911 after alteration for use as doorways in 1833.
The first-floor windows have stone surrounds with round heads,
keystones, and impost blocks. All have C19 joinery replacing
the original small-paned windows. The central doorway has a
plain stone surround. Beneath the second window on the ground
floor is a datestone inscribed '1772'. This was added c1872 to
mark the centenary of the building of the church, but the date
is now known to be incorrect. The rear gable wall has 4 tall
INTERIOR: fittings include a 3-sided gallery with box pews and
with an organ at the west side, carried on iron columns.
Against the east wall is a late C18 mahogany pulpit with a
panelled front decorated with carved drops (said to be by
Gillows), approached by a stair with open string, ramped
handrail, and turned balusters.
Listing NGR: SD4756061505
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings