This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.0532 / 54°3'11"N
Longitude: -2.8048 / 2°48'17"W
OS Eastings: 347406
OS Northings: 462214
OS Grid: SD474622
Mapcode National: GBR 8PVK.KS
Mapcode Global: WH846.WDJ3
Entry Name: Tonnage Warehouse
Listing Date: 18 February 1970
Last Amended: 13 March 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195081
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383296
Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Lancaster
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD4762 ST GEORGE'S QUAY
1685-1/3/262 (South West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
ST GEORGE'S QUAY
Warehouse. Mid C18. Squared coursed sandstone with ashlar
dressings; slate roof with the gable to the road and a
projecting verge over the central three-quarters of the width.
Approx 15m deep on plan behind a facade which is approx 6m
wide. 4 storeys above a cellar. Doorway to right, with a
central loading slot which has a plain surround, as do all the
openings. Flanked by a 12-pane window on each floor,
originally these were masonry panels with a ventilation slot.
There is no opening in the left-hand half of the top floor,
doubtless to strengthen the wall next to the crane which has
been removed. On the ground floor the place of the left-hand
window is taken by the doorway, which is reached by external
stone steps. The loading slot has doors on each storey, with
those on the ground and second floors being partially glazed.
HISTORY: built on Plot 23.
Listing NGR: SD4740662214
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings