This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7986 / 52°47'54"N
Longitude: -2.1354 / 2°8'7"W
OS Eastings: 390965
OS Northings: 322344
OS Grid: SJ909223
Mapcode National: GBR 16X.DYC
Mapcode Global: WHBDT.5XDD
Entry Name: Upmeads and Attached Terrace Walls
Listing Date: 17 December 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1195363
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384028
Location: Stafford, Staffordshire, ST16
Electoral Ward/Division: Rowley
Built-Up Area: Stafford
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Castle Church St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
NEWPORT ROAD (North side (off))
Upmeads and attached terrace walls
House and attached terrace walls. 1908. By Edgar Wood. Edwardian Free style.
MATERIALS: brick with ashlar dressings; flat concrete roof.
EXTERIOR: Two storeys with attic; symmetrical north, entrance, front has recessed concave centre with central attic storey rising behind Recessed moulded corners; plain stone-coped parapet, enriched to centre. Entrance has ashlar surround with enriched projecting lintel with recess; plain ashlar surrounds to end entrances, that to left behind wall to kitchen court. All windows have flat-faced mullions; ground floor has three-light windows flanking entrance with four-light windows to ends; recessed centre has three-light first floor and attic windows in ashlar strip, low relief panel incorporating initials between windows; first floor has single lights flanking recess and two windows of two lights to each side. Kitchen court has two round-headed entrances with doors with slatted panels, one with round notch for ?cat.
Right return has three-light windows and full-height canted bay window to right end with 1:5:1-light windows, central ground floor window is transomed; rainwater head dated 1908. Right return has lateral stack and flanking lights to forward break to left end, four-light transomed window and inserted small-paned window to ground floor. Garden front has recessed centre, entrance with ashlar canopy and glazed door, tall ashlar panel over has tall window to first floor. Ground floor has two transomed windows of two lights to left and seven-light transomed window to right, similar first floor windows without transoms. Terrace has low stone-coped wall, central recess with opposed steps to round landing, wall behind with concave centre, projection to each end with ball finials to angles.
INTERIOR: two-storey entrance hall to garden front has groin vault, round-headed entrance with glazed door to rear, below round arched opening with balcony; room to left has concave end wall with panelling, cupboards and marble fireplace with simplified Ionic pilasters; room to right has later C17 style panelling, fireplace of two coloured marbles and radiator in wood cover; groin-vaulted corridor to rear and entrance hallwith stair rising between walls to right; three-panel doors; first floor has corridor with round end skylights; room to right with cornice and wallpaper said to be original, stylised flowers on narrow vertical stripes, marble fireplace; room to right has panelled end wall with marble fireplace; two rear rooms have relief plaster friezes and ceilings, one with corner cupboard and strapwork fireplace.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: formal garden to south and west. The house is an example of very advanced design for its date with well-preserved interior; "one of the most interesting houses of that date in the whole of England", Pevsner.
Listing NGR: SJ9096522344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings