This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9066 / 54°54'23"N
Longitude: -2.9516 / 2°57'5"W
OS Eastings: 339082
OS Northings: 557288
OS Grid: NY390572
Mapcode National: GBR 7CTP.SX
Mapcode Global: WH7ZW.MXPX
Entry Name: St Ann's
Listing Date: 13 November 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1196944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386727
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Belah
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle Stanwix St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY35NE ETTERBY SCAUR, Etterby
671-1/1/138 (South side)
13/11/72 St Ann's
House used as judge's lodgings. c1806 with 1830s or 1840s
extensions. Cement-rendered walls on chamfered plinth (all
dressings of painted stone); the extension with string course,
eaves cornice and gabled pediment. Welsh slate roofs, rendered
ridge chimney stacks.
2 storeys; the right 4 bays are part of the original house;
the left 2 projecting bays are a later extension of higher
roof line; extensive rear 2-storey extensions of numerous
bays, making an overall L-shape. Original house has sash
windows in stone surrounds, those on the upper floor with
glazing bars; right canted 2-storey bay window has pilastered
angles and a pent roof. The extension has a right glazed door
and sidelights with glazing bars in a tripartite pilastered
surround. Left bay projects even further with a pedimental
gable; canted bay window; sash windows with glazing bars above
this and door in stone surrounds. Rear right-angle extensions
are of sandstone rubble; sash windows with glazing bars in
INTERIOR: panelled doors in panelled reveals; moulded plaster
ceiling cornices in principal rooms and Adam-style marble
fireplaces. Internal panelled shutters. Rear staircase under
domed cupola has square wooden balusters and mahogony
handrail; panelled soffit stair arch.
HISTORY: there appears to have been no house on this site
prior to 1806. It does not appear on Hodskinson & Donald's Map
of Cumberland, surveyed 1770. It may be the house in Etterby
Street referred to as being "pleasantly situated on the banks
of the Eden" advertised to let in the Cumberland Pacquet 26
Charles James Graham married Ann Clareson at Stanwix Church on
1 January 1806. The Carlisle Journal, 15 July 1809, refers to
Mr Graham of "Anns Hill", so the house had been built by that
date and would appear to be named in honour of his wife. CJ
Graham died in 1847 and the house eventually passed to his
neice (?) Fanny Eliza, who married in 1844, William Wordsworth
(son of the poet), and who lived there from 1857-70.
Various owners until purchased by Carlisle City Council in
1948, with the intended use as an old peoples home; never used
for that purpose, it became the judge's lodgings. In the late
1980s acquired as part of the nearby Austin Friars School,
with a clause ensuring its continued use as judge's lodgings.
The "St" part of the house name first appeared in the 1858
Directory of Carlisle.
(Carlisle Journal: 15 July 1809; Directory of Carlisle: 1858;
Cumberland Pacquet: 26 April 1796).
Listing NGR: NY3908257288
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings