This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.8924 / 54°53'32"N
Longitude: -2.9357 / 2°56'8"W
OS Eastings: 340079
OS Northings: 555693
OS Grid: NY400556
Mapcode National: GBR 7CYW.60
Mapcode Global: WH802.W968
Entry Name: Central Plaza Hotel and Stable Range, with the West City Walls Behind
Listing Date: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197141
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386890
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Electoral Ward/Division: Currock
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Carlisle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY4055NW VICTORIA VIADUCT
671-1/12/289 (North side)
Central Plaza Hotel and stable
range, with the west city walls
Hotel built as the Great Central Hotel (nothing to do with the
railway company of that name) later called the Central Hotel.
Dated 1880 on panel, for John Westmorland, by Daniel Birkett
of Carlisle; 1882 additions.
MATERIALS: the lower levels are of red sandstone ashlar; the
upper floors of quarry-faced calciferous sandstone (from
Lazonby); tiers of interval rusticated and fluted Corinthian
pilasters; sill bands and sub-cornices; the dressings are
generally of red sandstone to contrast with the yellow
sandstone. Mansard slate roof with patterned cast-iron
railings to the apex; tall prominent end brick chimney stacks.
Rear extensions are of brick the upper floors of white brick
with red brick dressings; stable range has partly-stuccoed
EXTERIOR: 6 and a half storeys, 3 bays with 3-bay returns,
built at low level on Backhouse Walk outside the West Walls
and extends back along city walls; main facade faces onto the
higher-level Victoria Viaduct and its right return is on the
higher West Walls, so entry is at second floor level.
Victoria Viaduct facade has central double panelled doors and
fanlight, up steps, in rounded moulded arch with keystone
feature (glass canopy added 1990); flanking bowed bay windows
carried down to level beneath, with pavement grilles.
Patterned cast-iron balcony above was added in 1882 and is
carried round the right return. Left doorway under pediment
gives access to lower level. Windows above balcony are
Venetian flanking a round-arched window. All windows above are
casements in stone reveals with flat lintels. Above the
cornice is a central 2-storey dormer under segmental pediment,
flanked by single dormers with swan-necked pediments.
Returns are of similar details to the facade but without
window embellishments. Panels on West Walls give the city arms
and date, other panels portray events from Aesop's Fables.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Extensions have sash windows in brick reveals with rounded and
segmental red brick arches; bands of dentilled red brickwork
in white brick of upper levels. Gabled roof dormers. Stable
range has open arches onto Backhouse Walk showing the City
Wall behind, the wall fronting onto West Walls is built on top
of the walls; this part of the building included only to
protect the city walls behind.
For further details see thesis in Carlisle Library by Nicholas
Gill "Four Carlisle Hotels", 1982.
Listing NGR: NY4007955693
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings