This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3509 / 50°21'3"N
Longitude: -3.5776 / 3°34'39"W
OS Eastings: 287858
OS Northings: 51296
OS Grid: SX878512
Mapcode National: GBR QS.RBH9
Mapcode Global: FRA 38D3.N1F
Entry Name: Raleigh Court raleigh Court and the Raleigh Public House the Raleigh Public House
Listing Date: 23 February 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197575
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387341
Location: Dartmouth, South Hams, Devon, TQ6
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Dartmouth
Built-Up Area: Dartmouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Dartmouth Townstal
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX874510 SOUTH EMBANKMENT
673-1/8/227 (West side)
Raleigh Court and The Raleigh Public
Hotel, now public house and flats. Dated 1888-1889 by EH Back,
architect, and Row and Watts, builders. Mixed construction;
painted Flemish-bond red brick with Bathstone ashlar dressings
and timber-framed show front over ground-floor level red
brick; red brick star-shaped chimneyshaft; steeply-pitched
gabled slate roof with pierced crested ridge tiles.
PLAN: Double-depth, 3 rooms wide.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attics; 3-bay front. Ornamental show
front in a distinctive Elizabethan style. Timber-framed with
jettied floors, projecting bays, balustraded balconies. Stone
doorways each end have moulded surrounds and overlights. Left
one (to bar) has mullioned overlight and contains C20 studded
plank door. Right one (to flats) has plain overlight and
contains original door with pattern of faceted panels. It is
flanked by transomed sidelights in same Tudor style as the 2
windows between which have lost their stone mullions below
transom level. Symmetrical 3-bay front above. First floor has
canted bays either side of paired French windows onto the
balcony between the bays. Similar arrangement on second floor
with square bays which rise to gables over attic windows.
Third attic window a gabled half-dormer in recess between.
First-floor bays contain ovolo-moulded 3-light
mullion-and-transom windows with side lights, the panels below
enriched with Jacobean-style pargetting. Windows mostly
replaced by late C20 aluminium frames, although first-floor
top lights have original patterns of coloured leaded glass.
Framing creates narrow panels which were probably originally
slate-hung as still remains on the left side wall. Criss-cross
braces under second- and attic-floor windows. Attic floor
jettied with shaped joist ends projecting through moulded
cornices. Corner brackets surmounted by carved gargoyles.
Gables have bargeboards with zig-zag decoration and ornamental
wrought-iron finials featuring flowers.
Brick left side wall contains single-light windows either side
of a projecting stack on which is the date plaque inscribed
"The first building erected on New Embankment 1888-9; EH Back,
architect; Row and Watts, builders". Behind is a projecting
bay window rising from first-floor level to a gable over the
attic window; it is complete with ornamental slate-hanging.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
Included for group value.
Listing NGR: SX8784851306
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings