This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7434 / 53°44'36"N
Longitude: -0.3457 / 0°20'44"W
OS Eastings: 509198
OS Northings: 428719
OS Grid: TA091287
Mapcode National: GBR GLP.LH
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.N5KK
Entry Name: Humberside University
Listing Date: 12 November 1973
Last Amended: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197653
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387440
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull Most Holy and Undivided Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
680-1/21/35 ANLABY ROAD
12-NOV-73 (North side)
(Formerly listed as:
THE COLLEGE OF ART)
College of art, now part of university. Dated 1904. Designed 1901 by Lanchester, Steward & Rickards. Opened September 1905. Red brick with profuse ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Large coped side wall stack. Plinth, quoins, string courses, first-floor band.
Central block, 3 storeys, with a higher 3-storey rear block, flanked by 2-storey wings, all above a basement. Anlaby Road front has slightly recessed centre with pedimented gable containing a mosaic, designed by Alfred Garth Jones and executed by the Bromsgrove Guild. Semicircular 2-storey porch with first floor and main cornices and wrought-iron railing at the top. Tall glazing bar window on first floor flanked by caryatids carved by Henry Charles Frehr and with a railing. On either side, a plaque, and beyond, a 15-pane sash with apron. Above again, a central 12-pane sash. Below, stone steps with capped pedestals leading to doorway flanked by Doric columns and wrought-iron openwork lamps. Oval vestibule with pilastered doorcase and overlight. On either side, a 10-pane casement with moulded surround and cornice. Below them, basement entrances with railings. Flanking wings have first floor and main cornices. Blank first floor to Anlaby Road, and below, 2 margin glazed casements with moulded surrounds and cornices. Below them, single 15-pane lights to the basement.
Left return has 3 round glazing bar windows and below, a central double door with overlight flanked by three 10-pane windows, all with cornices.
Right return has a central recess topped with a gabled glazed dormer and flanked by 2-storey blocks. Right block has corner pilasters and a large tripartite glazing bar window on each floor, the upper one with a flat gable carried above the cornice.
Rear elevation has slightly recessed 3-storey central block with pedimented gable, first-floor band and second-floor cornice. At rear corner a square belvedere with coped lantern atop. Three 10-pane margin glazed windows separated by pilasters and under a common cornice. Above again, a large segment-headed glazing bar window flanked by corniced cartouches. On the ground floor, a glazed lean-to projection. Flanking wings have first-floor bands and segmental pediments. Segment-headed glazing bar window above and larger flat-headed glazing bar window below.
INTERIOR contains an oval 2-storey entrance hall with balcony and staircase. The staircase has a fine wrought iron balustrade with wooden handrail. Upper stair supported on round arches and on Doric columns. Hall floor decorated with terrazzo tiles. Studios and offices retain many original features including doors, fireplaces, coving and partitions.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and The East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 273).
Listing NGR: TA0919828719
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings