This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1045 / 54°6'16"N
Longitude: -3.2308 / 3°13'50"W
OS Eastings: 319618
OS Northings: 468327
OS Grid: SD196683
Mapcode National: GBR 5NWZ.BD
Mapcode Global: WH72P.B3R7
Entry Name: Devonshire Buildings
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197845
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388535
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Barrow Island
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD1968 MICHAELSON ROAD, Barrow Island
708-1/13/95 (East side)
06/05/76 Nos.10-14 (Consecutive) Devonshire
Tenement block. c1875. By Paley and Austin of Lancaster
(plan); main contractors Smith and Caird of Dundee
(Trescatheric). Sawn, red ashlar sandstone; graduated slate
roof with brick stacks.
3 and 4 storeys with attics; 3:15:3 bays with 5-storey corner
tower on right and angled corner bay on far left; the end
pavilions are taller; recessed centre in repeated rhythm 2:1:2
divided by buttressed party walls. Near-symmetrical
composition. Rock-faced plinth rises to chamfered sill band;
sill bands to upper floors; 4-pane sashes.
End pavilions have 2-light mullioned windows: shouldered
lights and relieving arches to ground floor; relieving arches
to 2nd floor; round-arched lights with coupled hoodmoulds to
3rd floor. String course and terracotta corbel table to eaves
of mansard roof with hipped-roof dormers.
Centre: 2nd floor windows have shouldered lights; the single
bays project, have 2-light mullioned windows and rise as full
dormers with shouldered-light windows under relieving arches,
hoodmoulds and coped gables. Eaves, dormers and roof as end
pavilions. The buttresses rise to coped, party-wall parapets;
multiple-flue brick ridge stacks.
Corner tower on right is octagonal and has door to Michaelson
Road and round-arched windows to upper floors; short spire
with finial. Angled corner bay to far left is corbelled out at
each floor and terminates in square garret with single sash
and hipped roof. Rear: pavilions have angled staircase
recesses with wrought-iron railings to landings set on corbels
or segmental arches; round arches at top under hipped-roof
canopies on large brackets. Centre rises 4 full storeys and
has similar staircase with canted balconies.
Second block of tenements to be built on Barrow Island after
Devonshire Buildings (qv). Drawings survive and are dated
September 1874. The tower complements that of Devonshire
Buildings; the 2 ranges form an extremely impressive, first
rate (?) and early complex of superior industrial housing and
bear testimony to the versatility of this important
Listing NGR: SD1961868327
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings