This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1293 / 54°7'45"N
Longitude: -3.1895 / 3°11'22"W
OS Eastings: 322366
OS Northings: 471038
OS Grid: SD223710
Mapcode National: GBR 6N5P.8H
Mapcode Global: WH72H.ZGBR
Entry Name: Park House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 10 November 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1197851
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388556
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA13
Electoral Ward/Division: Newbarns
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow in Furness St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD27SW PARKHOUSE ROAD
708-1/4/105 (West side (off))
10/11/49 Park House Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Probably C16 origin rebuilt C17 and with C19
additions. Red ashlar sandstone, graduated slate roof.
L-shaped plan. 2 storeys and attic, 4 windows to 1st floor;
2-storey wing to rear left.
Stone porch to left of centre with chamfered round arch,
plaque dated 1831 and ashlar gable copings; part-glazed door
within has chamfered segmentally-arched head and hoodmould. To
each side are 4-light double-chamfered mullioned windows with
plain casements, king mullions and hoodmoulds; small
single-light window to right. 1st floor: similar windows of 3,
3, 3 and 2 lights, the right-hand pair set higher. Massive
external end stack to right gable; small external stack to
Rear: 4-light window (as front) on left of tall 2-light window
(altered); external stack in angle has offsets and later brick
shaft; 3-light mullioned windows to 1st floor. Reused medieval
gargoyle in rear wall of wing. Left return: wing has early C19
mullioned windows of 3 lights to ground floor and 2, 3 and 1
INTERIOR: front door leads to cross-passage with service room
to left having 2 doorways (1 blocked). Hall on right has large
sidewall fireplace, its chamfered, segmental arch with joggled
voussoirs. Room to rear right with C17 panelling and door.
Rear wing has a chamfered side-wall fireplace to kitchen, and
a crown post truss cut off below the springing of the struts.
Stone spiral staircase to 1st floor. Plank-and-muntin
panelling divides right-hand 2 rooms. Oak, solid-tread stair
to attic; 6 principal-rafter trusses with curved struts,
collars and 2 curved wind braces.
The survival of some internal features and the adherence to
the medieval plan of hall, cross-passage and service room
suggests an early date. Close proximity to the ruins of
Furness Abbey would have allowed rebuilding in stone before
this became the norm.
Listing NGR: SD2236671038
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings