History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Rodbourne Cheney, Swindon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5792 / 51°34'45"N

Longitude: -1.7989 / 1°47'56"W

OS Eastings: 414031

OS Northings: 186726

OS Grid: SU140867

Mapcode National: GBR YNM.44

Mapcode Global: VHB3D.RKVQ

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 2 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1198311

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318686

Location: Central Swindon North, Swindon, SN2

County: Swindon

Electoral Ward/Division: Rodbourne Cheney

Built-Up Area: Swindon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Rodbourne Cheney

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Broad Blunsdon

Listing Text

Rodbourne Cheney
1/26 Church of St. Mary

Anglican parish church. C13, C19 and C20. 1848 rebuilt by S. Sage
of Swindon. Rubble Swindon stone with limestone dressings. Stone
slate roof with concrete slates on inner pitch. Medieval nave with
parallel north nave of 1848. West tower and south porch. Chancel
with medieval south chapel and C20 north extension. Original form
with central tower and south aisle, incorporated in widened nave in
1848. 3-light nave windows in 4-centred heads and casement
mouldings. 3-light square headed windows to chancel chapel, and
triple lancets of C13 to east end. North side 4 Perpendicular
style windows. Tower with 4 light west window over deeply moulded
door, all C19. Louvred bellstage openings, crenellated parapet and
pinnacles. South porch has door with C13 nail-headed nookshafts
carrying low pointed segmental arch with 2 hollow chamfers.
Trefoiled side lights and niche over door. North chancel extension
with glazed concrete honeycomb blocks by Burrough and Hannam.
Interior: Probably south arcade removed C19 and nave and south
aisle roofed as one. Open waggon roof with carved bosses. North
nave with 4-bay arcade of octagonal columns and chamfer arches
independently roofed in similar style without bosses. Raked west
gallery in exposed concrete with honeycomb concrete balustrade.
North chancel chapel with tapered lintel on concrete column, and
concrete joists to flat ceiling. Shouldered door and 2-light east
window reset. Simple double piscina. C19 pulpit and font. Heads
of south nave windows have fragments of C14-C15 glass. Timber
vault to tower. Monuments: Nave, west wall ARTHUR EVANS, 1762,
oval grey and white marble plaque. South wall: SIMON WAYTE, 1807,
by Reeves of Bath, marble tablet with draped urn over. Chancel:
WILLIAM HOLCROFT, 1621, marbled limestone aedicule with arms and
crest over. REV. ARTHUR EVANS, 1789, by King of Bath; marble
draped weeping figure leaning on urn. KATHERINE EVANS, 1810, by
King of Bath, marble with Latin inscription. South chapel: family
of NATANIEL AND ANN EDWARDS, 1802-4, marble, oval wreath on slate.
Externally on tower, north face; probable window-head, C9-10;
simple tree form, and on west wall of north nave; section of simple
interlaced cross shaft. (Plan of church in Society of Antiquaries

Listing NGR: SU1403186726

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.