This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2247 / 52°13'28"N
Longitude: 1.1812 / 1°10'52"E
OS Eastings: 617374
OS Northings: 263265
OS Grid: TM173632
Mapcode National: GBR VM3.KFS
Mapcode Global: VHLB1.FBBX
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 9 December 1955
Last Amended: 24 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1199276
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281494
Location: Debenham, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP14
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Debenham
Built-Up Area: Debenham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Debenham St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
DEBENHAM GRACECHURCH STREET
TM 16 SE
6/70 No.2 (The Guildhall)
9/12/55 (formerly listed under
High Street as The Cross
and adjoining premises)
Former market hall, erected on site of market cross. Upper room adapted for
use as school in 1668, established under the will of Sir Robert Hitcham.
Latterly shop premises; empty at time of survey (July 1987). Early-mid C17
(after 1621) with alterations of 1668. Timber framed and roughcast-rendered.
Roof of mid C20 concrete plaintiles. A freestanding building, approximately
square on plan. 2 storeys and attic. Gable ends to north and south have
jettied upper floors carried on thick carved brackets, the bressummers carved
with repeated geometric patterns, now much eroded. Slightly projecting
gables, the tie beams also carved. To north is a tripartite upper window, the
projecting centre portion with original carved sill and renewed 4-light
window; the 4-light side windows each retain one original ovolo mullion. C17
attic window. Large boarded and battened doors date from the use of the
ground floor as a fire station. To east, an original 5-light mullion and
transom window with renewed carved sill. To south, a pair of C20 mullion and
transom windows on each floor, a C20 battened entrance door and a gable stack
with small square shaft. Interior. Gable ends were open to ground floor,
with a central post and knee braces to the mid rail. Side walls on ground
floor have widely-spaced studs and long straight braces. Similar infilling to
gable ends. First floor studs quite widely spaced, with curved braces at the
corners. Upper floor has on-edge plain joists. Plaster ceiling of upper
floor is insertion of c.1668 when attic was made: centre band has repeated
pattern based on half-circles; 4 moulded divisions with Fleur-de-lys, foliage
and rosette motifs. Stack is founded on upper floor, an insertion of c.1668
to heat the schoolroom. The fireplace has a simple 3-centred brick arch.
Roof has clasped and butt purlins with arched wind-bracing. For structural
drawings see Mr T. Easton, Bedfield Hall.
Listing NGR: TM1737463265
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings