This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9896 / 51°59'22"N
Longitude: -2.1622 / 2°9'43"W
OS Eastings: 388960
OS Northings: 232367
OS Grid: SO889323
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.65N
Mapcode Global: VH93T.G8T2
Entry Name: Abbey Barn the Almonry
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Last Amended: 25 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201160
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376554
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO83SE ABBEY PRECINCTS
859-1/2/353 Abbey Barn, and No.1 The Almonry
(Formerly Listed as:
Abbey Barn, Stables and Wall)
Also known as: Abbey Barton Abbey Precincts.
Barn, part modified for use as dwelling. Late medieval,
recorded as existing in 1632, but considerably reconstructed,
probably in C18, with part conversion to house c1980.
Stone, brick, timber-frame, tile roof. There remain 5 bays of
the original barn, which formerly extended SE by 2 or 3
further bays (now part incorporated in Monastery Cottage
NW entry end has light timber-framing with brick nogging to
gable containing plank loading door, over wide C20 garage
doors set in rubble stone medieval wall to right. Main long
return to right in 5 bays divided by deep buttresses to double
offsets, set diagonally to left corner, the wall with
weathered plinth and finishing at plate level with dressed
chamfered course. Bay 1 has square opening, formerly with
stone mullion; Bay 2 has a small glazed vent slit; Bay 3 has
former arched doorway in chamfered surround, now blocked, but
with 2-pane light to arch, a further inserted 2-light at
eaves, right, and 2-light dormer; Bay 4 has 2-light deep
chamfered flush casement and Bay 5 is plain wall with
buttress, continuing to Monastery Cottage.
NE side partly concealed, but first 2 bays mainly in brick
with timber-framing in upper parts; beyond is No.1, The
Almonry with 2 flat-roofed dormers above C20 door on 4 steps,
a blocked doorway, bullseye opening, and swept-down added
section to right.
INTERIOR of barn end has queen strut roof without collar, 2
purlins, much new timber except to main truss. Stone sett
flooring. Partition to new house is brick nogged light framing
under rendered gable.
The barn has been considerably altered from its medieval form;
at the entrance end, adjacent to the main doors, can be seen
the remnants of the wall from the NE previously linked with
that passing through Abbey Cottages (qv). It is thought that
this was the Abbey's Almonry barn.
Listing NGR: SO8895932364
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings