This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.5415 / 54°32'29"N
Longitude: -1.9189 / 1°55'7"W
OS Eastings: 405347
OS Northings: 516250
OS Grid: NZ053162
Mapcode National: GBR HH1X.CS
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.H3HR
Entry Name: Garden Walls to East of Numbers 64 and 66, Spring Grove garden Walls to Spring Grove, Newgate
Listing Date: 22 February 1973
Last Amended: 28 November 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201330
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388776
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
770-1/6/146 (North side)
22/02/73 Garden walls to east of Nos.64 and
66, Spring Grove
(Formerly Listed as:
Garden walls to east of No.66
Formerly known as: The Parsonage House garden walls NEWGATE.
Garden wall and piers round 3 sides of garden. C18 with C19
alterations and C20 wrought-iron gate. Rubble walls with
ashlar coping and piers; brick leaf to wall at rear. Square
piers on Newgate have chamfers with roll-moulded stops, and
stepped shaped coping. Flat stone copings to wall, lower at
left of piers with C20 wrought-iron railings, higher to right
of piers, and ramped up to mid-first floor height at rear of
garden where wall joins rear wing of No.66 (qv). Wall returns
from Newgate round curved right corner to Birch Road and joins
wall on west side of Birch Road (qv). c1971 wrought-iron gate
in scrolled leaf and flower design.
This was the garden of the C18 house, replaced by Nos 64 and
66 (qv), which was shown as the Parsonage house in 1827.
Included for group value.
(John Wood: Map of Barnard Castle: Barnard Castle: 1827-).
Listing NGR: NZ0534716250
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings