This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5433 / 53°32'36"N
Longitude: -2.7522 / 2°45'8"W
OS Eastings: 350249
OS Northings: 405451
OS Grid: SD502054
Mapcode National: GBR 9W6G.YJ
Mapcode Global: WH86R.P6MF
Entry Name: Heyes Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 January 1952
Last Amended: 11 August 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1201663
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388983
Location: West Lancashire, Lancashire, WN8
District: West Lancashire
Town: West Lancashire
Electoral Ward/Division: Tanhouse
Built-Up Area: Skelmersdale
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Up Holland St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SD5005 GRIMSHAW ROAD
783-1/6/21 Heyes Farmhouse
(Formerly Listed as:
SKELMERSDALE AND HOLLAND
CARR LANE, Skelmersdale
A modernised two-storey former farmhouse of late C17 date, architect unknown.
Sandstone with evidence of timber framing beneath a modern tiled pitched roof.
The building is sub-rectangular in plan.
The front elevation is rectangular with a gable to the left side and a modern front door beneath a thin lintel behind a modern wrought iron grill at the right hand side of the elevation. There are chamfered mullion windows of four and five lights to the ground floor, similar mullion windows of three and four lights to the upper floor, and a blocked one-light window high in the gable beneath the eaves. Simple hoodmoulds run above all but the three-light window. The left elevation is plain apart from a stone plinth which runs along the front, left and right elevations of the original farmhouse. The rear elevation has C20 stone-built single-storey extensions with restored chamfered mullion windows of two and three lights beneath simple hoodmoulds replicating others elsewhere. There is a chamfered mullion window of three lights with a blocked one-light window above in the rear gable above the extensions. Hoodmoulds run above these windows. The right gable elevation has a chamfered two-light mullion window to the ground floor and two altered two-light windows to the upper floor, all beneath matching hoodmoulds. A datestone of 1685 has been inserted into a blocked window high in the gable beneath the eaves. There is a rebuilt rear roof stack towards the east end of the building. A modern single-storey extension has been added to the north-east corner of the building.
The ground floor has two living rooms separated by a staircase in the original part of the farmhouse. To the rear there is a modernised kitchen, bedroom, utility room, WC and shower in the C20 rear extensions, and a recently constructed conservatory/lounge at the north-east corner of the building. Whilst modernised throughout the original part of the building retains some chamfered ceiling beams and exposed timber framing, particularly in the right living room. Timber lintels are also exposed above windows and doors in the left living room. Elsewhere timber framing is exposed on the staircase, landing and in both bedrooms.
Modern additions are of lesser interest.
Heyes Farmhouse bears a datestone of 1685. The building is shown as being L-shaped in plan on maps of 1893, 1908 and 1927. At an unspecified date between 1927 and 1952 rear extensions were added to the building and it has been extensively renovated since to include the insertion of uPVC double glazed windows, a new tiled roof, rebuilt chimney, uPVC gutters and new facias, fitting of a wrought iron grill over the front door and, in 2009, the erection of another extension at the building's north-east corner.
Ordnance Survey Map 1st Epoch, (1893)
Ordnance Survey Map 2nd Epoch, (1908)
Ordnance Survey Map, 3rd Epoch, (1927)
REASONS FOR DECISION:
Heyes Farmhouse is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Date - Despite modernisation it still retains the core of a late C17 part timber-framed farmhouse
* Group Value - It is one of a small number of surviving similarly-dated farmhouses that are designated at Grade II and II* located in what was once part of the agriculturally rich farmland of West Lancashire
* Architectural Interest - It will contain further evidence of its evolution as a farmhouse during the last three centuries
Listing NGR: SD5024905451
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings