This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4544 / 51°27'15"N
Longitude: -2.6039 / 2°36'14"W
OS Eastings: 358135
OS Northings: 172993
OS Grid: ST581729
Mapcode National: GBR C6K.2H
Mapcode Global: VH88M.TP9Y
Plus Code: 9C3VF93W+PC
Entry Name: Church of St George Brandon Hill
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1202248
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379652
Location: Bristol, BS1
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Hotwells and Harbourside
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5872NW GREAT GEORGE STREET
901-1/15/106 (North West side)
08/01/59 Church of St George, Brandon Hill
(Formerly Listed as:
GREAT GEORGE STREET
Church of St George)
Church, now concert hall. 1821-3. By Sir Robert Smirke.
Limestone and Pennant ashlar, roof not visible. Longitudinal
plan, built on lateral vaulted chambers, with sanctuary behind
portico and U-plan galleries to first floor.
Greek Revival style. A tetrastyle porch with Greek Doric
Theseion order columns on shallow Pennant plinths; behind it
are 3 doorways with moulded architraves and C20 doors, under a
plat band and 3 semicircular-arched windows; surmounting the
pediment is a short square pedestal and a round lantern, with
Doric pilasters to alternate blind and louvred square windows,
and a dome with acroteria. N elevation of 7 bays has a
rusticated basement, cornice and parapet; almost square lower
windows with beaded reveals and semicircular-arched upper ones
above a plat band; similar S elevation. Projecting centre to
the W end has 2 flights of stairs on either side with curtail
steps; 2 shallow pilasters flank a door with a cornice on
brackets, and a semicircular-arched window above; to the sides
are similar doors with blind windows.
INTERIOR: entrance lobby from the W end and portico from the
liturgical E end; U-plan panelled galleries to sides and W end
on fluted cast-iron Doric columns, and panelled plaster
ceiling with painted roses and other Greek Revival mouldings.
Open-well stone stairs lead up to galleries from portico.
Lateral vaulted crypt. Inserted stage to W end c1987.
FIXTURES: late C19 pews, C18 box pews in the galleries, and a
large square marble font on short shafts. Marble sanctuary
furniture by Foster and Wood c1878 in storage. A Waterloo
church, built as a chapel-of-ease to Cathedral of St Augustine
(qv), and converted to a concert hall c1987. A notable piece
of Greek Revival architecture, Smirke being a leading
practitioner of the style.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 236; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 389;
Gomme A: Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or
Historic Interest: 27).
Listing NGR: ST5813572993
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings