This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2078 / 51°12'28"N
Longitude: -4.1239 / 4°7'26"W
OS Eastings: 251732
OS Northings: 147542
OS Grid: SS517475
Mapcode National: GBR KN.4148
Mapcode Global: VH4M4.GWQZ
Entry Name: 110,111 and 112, High Street
Listing Date: 14 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203034
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390218
Location: Ilfracombe, North Devon, Devon, EX34
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Ilfracombe
Built-Up Area: Ilfracombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ilfracombe Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5147 HIGH STREET
853-1/6/79 (South side)
Nos.110, 111 AND 112
Shops with living accommodation above. Early 1880s by WC
Oliver of Barnstaple.
MATERIALS: cream-coloured brick with dressings of stone and
purplish-red band blue brick. Roof not visible from street.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys. 3-windows-wide, each window of 3 lights.
Shopfronts in ground storey, considerably altered except for
the middle shop (No.111). This has a display window divided by
a single vertical glazing bar; band of green and brown tiles
below. Glazed shop door, set back to right. Above both display
window and shop door is a frieze of coloured glass panels
surmounted by an enriched cornice. The cornice continues
across No.110, which may retain the frieze behind a C20
6-panelled house door to left of No.110. The frieze may also
survive behind a C20 fascia at No.112; this shop retains at
the left-hand end the carved gabled block that originally
terminated the cornice. Projecting above the shopfront at
No.110 is an iron bar for a hanging sign; twisted shaft,
In second storey the windows have stone surrounds with
trefoil-headed arches springing from columns, the blind window
heads carved with flowers; impost-band of carved stone and red
and blue brick. In third storey the windows are plain with
segmental stone arches to the lights, these having outer
arches of purplish-red brick; impost band as in second storey,
moulded stone stringcourse at sill level. Similar stringcourse
in fourth storey where the windows have flat stone arches; the
piers between the lights have been rebuilt in red brick.
Enriched wood and stone top cornice with imitation
machicolation. All windows have plain sashes with horns.
Walls of rear courtyards are slate hung. No.111 has
ground-floor rear window with coloured glass.
INTERIOR inspected only at No.111. This has wooden staircase
with turned balusters, rising through all four floors. Carved
wooden chimneypiece in ground floor room of rear range.
Several 4-panelled doors.
(Hussell AT: Ilfracombe Chronicle, 25.6.1937: 2).
Listing NGR: SS5173247542
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings