This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2067 / 51°12'24"N
Longitude: -4.1199 / 4°7'11"W
OS Eastings: 252005
OS Northings: 147412
OS Grid: SS520474
Mapcode National: GBR KN.483L
Mapcode Global: VH4M4.JXTT
Entry Name: Church of St Peter Including Gate Piers,gates and Retaining Wall at East and West Ends
Listing Date: 12 March 1990
Last Amended: 14 March 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203036
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390225
Location: Ilfracombe, North Devon, Devon, EX34
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Ilfracombe
Built-Up Area: Ilfracombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ilfracombe Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5147 HIGHFIELD ROAD
853-1/6/85 (South side)
12/03/90 Church of St Peter including gate
piers, gates & retaining wall at E &
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Peter)
Anglican parish church. 1902 by GH Fellowes-Prynne.
Rough-faced, squared stone rubble with details and quoins in
dressed limestone (probably Bath stone). Red tiled roof with
some decorative ridge tiles.
Plan consists of nave, aisles, chancel and south chancel
chapel, with very shallow north and south transepts; tower and
entrance-porch at west end of north aisle. A north chancel
chapel appears to have been demolished.
Built in a wide range of medieval styles, from Norman to
Perpendicular. Main features of north front (facing Highfield
Road) are a pair of gables to the transept, each with a
3-light traceried window.
Also a 2-stage square tower (never completed) with big
angle-buttresses; doorway with carved wooden canopy supported
by stone angles, figure of St Peter in niche above. 5-light
traceried east and west windows. Foundation stone under west
window carved with date and architect's name.
INTERIOR has nave arcades with Norman columns having twisted
fluting on the shafts, these supporting pointed,
double-chamfered arches. Low, carved stone chancel screen.
Organ with Gothic casing. Good carved choir stalls, pulpit
(1903 by Florence Heaton Toller) and font (lime-stone with
red and green marble columns).
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: at each end of the front curtilage-wall
is a pair of square, stone rubble gate piers with lumps of
quartz on top. Western piers have iron gates with scrollwork
and keys of St Peter. Eastern piers have wooden gateposts with
gabled tops and crosses in round panels.
At the east and west ends of the curtilage, continuing north
on to the Highfield Road frontage, are retaining walls of
slatestone laid in tiers, herringbone fashion.
Listing NGR: SS5200547412
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings