History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Canon's Marsh Goods Shed

A Grade II Listed Building in Bristol, Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4504 / 51°27'1"N

Longitude: -2.6005 / 2°36'1"W

OS Eastings: 358369

OS Northings: 172554

OS Grid: ST583725

Mapcode National: GBR C6L.VX

Mapcode Global: VH88M.WS3Z

Plus Code: 9C3VF92X+5R

Entry Name: Canon's Marsh Goods Shed

Listing Date: 5 August 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203510

English Heritage Legacy ID: 378839

Location: Hotwells and Harbourside, Bristol, BS1

County: Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Hotwells and Harbourside

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in



ST5872NW ANCHOR ROAD, Canon's Marsh
901-1/15/495 (South side)
05/08/92 Canon's Marsh Goods Shed


Railway goods shed. 1906. Architectural assistant PE
Culverhouse. Engineer W Armstrong. For the Great Western
Railway. Reinforced concrete on the Hennebique system, built
by Robinson of Bristol for the Great Western Railway, a
pioneer in the early use of this system; partially clad in
render and blue engineering bricks, roof not visible. Open
2 storeys, 10 bays long and 4 wide. Ground-floor station open
to the S side, with warehouse above. S elevation has square
stanchions to a cornice, beneath pilasters to a second-floor
cornice, with blind panels alternating with metal-framed
windows with glazing bars. The N side has a ground floor of
black brick piers to segmental arches with 6-light mullion and
transom windows. At the E end the attached 2-storey, 3-window
range office block has a blue brick plinth, plat band and
cornice, brick segmental-arched head dressings to a central
doorway, blind windows to the right, and 5-window side
INTERIOR: stanchions support 2 wide, parabolic arches spanning
the centre bays, with half arches to side aisles.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built by the GWR to terminate the line into
the docks from the west, and has a significant place in the
development of Canon's Marsh, for much of the C19 an
industrial backwater. It occupies a very early and significant
place in the introduction of reinforced concrete systems into
Britain. The drawings (dated variously 1904) are marked from
the office of LG Mouchel and quote the Hennebique patent for
ferro-concrete construction. W Armstrong was the engineer
responsible for new works on the Great Western Railway, which
played a pioneering role in the introduction of this method of
(Great Western Magazine: 1906-).

Listing NGR: ST5838072551

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.