This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6607 / 53°39'38"N
Longitude: -2.6235 / 2°37'24"W
OS Eastings: 358893
OS Northings: 418422
OS Grid: SD588184
Mapcode National: GBR BV33.TH
Mapcode Global: WH97C.N8X0
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 21 February 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1203819
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357563
Location: Chorley, Lancashire, PR6
Electoral Ward/Division: Chorley North East
Built-Up Area: Chorley
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Chorley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 51 NE CHORLEY HARPERS LANE
5/47 Church of St. Peter
Church, 1849-50, by Charles Reed; subsequently enlarged. Yellow
sandstone snecked rubble with gritstone plinth and dressings, slate roof
with red ridging tiles. Nave with north west belfry turret, transepts,
and chancel. Early English style: steeply pitched roofs, lancet windows.
Gableted west doorway of three orders; from eaves of this gablet a
moulded band carries round the whole building, stepping down to sill
level of aisles; west front has a second band (broken by the gablet) from
which rise 2 tall lancets which have hoodmoulds with foliated stops; above
these a vesica window with an inner band of dogtoothing. At north west
corner is a polygonal 4-stage stair turret surmounted by an octagonal
belfry terminating in a short spire with steep gablets above the openings.
Buttressed aisles of 5 bays, most with coupled lancets; but 2nd bay on
north side has steeply gabled porch resembling west doorway. Clerestory
of 6 cusped single-light windows. Transepts (1910) are rock-faced, have
low angle-buttresses and 3 stepped lancets. East window of 3 stepped
lights (the centre very high), all enclosed by a detached hoodmould.
Interior: 5 bay nave arcade of alternately cylindrical and octagonal
columns with moulded caps; arch-braced kingpost nave and chancel roofs,
scissor-braced transept roofs; windows of north transept contain C15/C16
French and Flemish stained glass (given in 1937).
Listing NGR: SD5889318422
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings