This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7598 / 52°45'35"N
Longitude: -1.5668 / 1°34'0"W
OS Eastings: 429327
OS Northings: 318108
OS Grid: SK293181
Mapcode National: GBR 5FC.STL
Mapcode Global: WHCGD.XW1N
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary and Saint George
Listing Date: 14 October 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204963
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82571
Location: South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE11
Electoral Ward/Division: Church Gresley
Built-Up Area: Swadlincote
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Gresley St George and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Derby
Parish Church of
Saint Mary and
SK 21 NE 3/13
Parish church, incorporating part of nave of monastic church of small Angustinian
Priory founded between 1100 and 1154 by William de Greley. Church in ruinious
state when restored in 1786 and again restored and present chancel built
in 1872. Coursed stone with slate roof. Much of internal stonework of
monastic nave may survive but part of C14 north arcade visibly remains and
blocked door at west end of south wall probably led to cloisters. C15 tower,
at east end of north aisle, formerly open to choir through lofty arch.
Tower crenellated and buttressed.
Have has 2 Gothic windows with third above centre door on north side C17,
C18 and C19 monuments include alabaster monument at east end of north aisle
to Sir Thomas Gresley + 1699 designed by Sir William Wilson. Figure of
Sir Thomas, in wig and gown, flanked by 2 children as weepers and surrounded
by arms of his ancestors.
Wall monument in south aisle to John Alleyne (died 1712) (the Alleynes owned
Priory site after 1556). Three Royal coats of arms (2 of reign of George
III). Misericord seats in chancel and at rear of nave, thought to have
been carved by Artus Quellin, a Flemish craftsman in mid C17. These came
from Drakelaw Hall, home of Gresley family but Cox says they may have belonged
to church originally. (Cox J.C p 125. Notes on the churches of Derbyshire
1875-79). (Bulmer p 721 Directory of Derbyshire 1895).
Listing NGR: SK2932718108
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings