This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8735 / 50°52'24"N
Longitude: -2.9611 / 2°57'39"W
OS Eastings: 332473
OS Northings: 108660
OS Grid: ST324086
Mapcode National: GBR M7.T7N7
Mapcode Global: FRA 46PS.N6W
Plus Code: 9C2VV2FQ+9H
Entry Name: Chard School
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205594
English Heritage Legacy ID: 374098
Location: Chard Town, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Chard Town
Built-Up Area: Chard
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Chard St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
House, now school. Dated 1583. Squared flint on a limestone
plinth with Ham Hill stone dressings, plain tile roof and
brick stacks. L-plan with rear left wing: 3-room front range
with service room to left wing and parlour to right and porch
to central door opposite door to stairs; rear kitchen wing has
stair and lobby to left.
2 storeys with attics; 5-window range. All windows have
cavetto-moulded stone mullions, labelled hoodmoulds and C20
leaded lights; moulded sill courses run under ground-floor and
first-floor windows and round central, square, projecting
porch of 3 storeys: this has gables to front and sides over
3-light windows on second-floor and 4-light to front and
2-light to sides of first-floor. First and second floors of
the main facade have 4-light windows to far right and left and
6-lights flanking porch. Rear elevation has keyed
semi-circular stair light. Rear left wing has similar,
mullioned windows to right and rendered C19 extension with C20
INTERIOR: ground-floor room to right has mid C19 Gothic-style
shutters, marble fireplace, enriched cornice and ceiling rose.
Hall to centre has fine moulded transverse beams. Room to left
has C17 cornicing and Tudor-arched doorway with sunk
spandrels; reset late C16 panelling to rear lateral passage.
Rear wing has mid C19 cast-iron kitchen range inserted into
late C16 fireplace with hollow-moulded jambs and sunk
spandrels; wide newel staircase adjoining to left. First-floor
rooms have similar fireplaces and central plank and muntin
partition with blocked door to rear lateral stairs and passage
partition; lobby at head of newel stairs to left is divided
from rooms to front left and rear wing (over kitchen) by
similar plank and muntin partitions with front partition
having pair of related arched architraves, one with late C16
plank door to stair lobby and rear left closet; similar
fireplace to rear window. Attic: plastered collar trusses to
front roof; 2 cambered collars, with threaded purlins.
Mid/late C18 staircase provided access to Monmouth House (qv).
A complete and fine quality interior with an advanced plan
form for its date, notable for its passage access to main
HISTORY: rainwater head dated 1583. Built as a private
residence for William Symes of Poundsford in Somerset. In 1671
he conveyed the property to 12 trustees so that it should be
converted into a grammar school with residence for the master.
It was damaged by fire in 1727.
(Pevsner N: Buildings of England: South Somerset: London:
Listing NGR: ST3247308660
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings