This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6378 / 51°38'16"N
Longitude: 0.2406 / 0°14'26"E
OS Eastings: 555148
OS Northings: 195597
OS Grid: TQ551955
Mapcode National: GBR V3.KB7
Mapcode Global: VHHN2.4319
Entry Name: Gilstead Hall
Listing Date: 21 October 1958
Last Amended: 9 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206194
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373410
Location: Brentwood, Essex, CM14
Electoral Ward/Division: South Weald
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Bentley Common St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ59NE COXTIE GREEN ROAD, Pilgrims Hatch
723-1/5/243 (East side)
21/10/58 Gilstead Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
COXTIE GREEN ROAD, Coxtie Green
Formerly known as: Gilstead Hall South Weald Common.
House, now flats. 1726. Red brick, Flemish bond, roof C20 flat
tiles. T-shaped plan.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. 3 chimney-stacks, one on each end wall
and one at junction of bays 3/4 (from N). W front elevation, 9
bays, central 3 articulated forward. Parapet with sunk panels
over windows, cyma moulded cornice, 2 moulded string courses
between floors, upper cyma, lower hollow. At time of listing
all windows were being replaced by C20 copies, sashes, glazing
bars. Window heads have gauged brick voussoirs. Ground floor 8
window, all 3x4 panes. Central projecting brick and timber
porch, segment headed with dentils, rectangular fanlight and
side lights with small leaded panes of green glass. Door has 6
fielded panels, inner doorway has semicircular fan-light.
Porch sides have one fixed light each with glazing bars, 3x3
panes, above, one wide light. First floor, 9 windows, 3x4
panes, second floor, 9 windows 3x2 panes. To S of house is
first floor continuation under shaped parapet with stone
coping, 2 sash windows, 2x4 panes. Rear, E elevation, similar
to front but irregular with projecting wing towards N end.
Parapet plain, cornice and string courses undecorated.
Projecting wing. Ground floor, 2 sash windows, 2x4 panes,
Regency blind-box surrounds, pedimented doorway between
windows with large fan-light with glazing bars, 3x2 panes and
C20 door with upper glazing, glazing bars, 3x2 panes and 2
flush panels below. To S C20 door with 6 fielded panels. First
floor, 3 window openings and large staircase window opening
with semicircular head, window sill set well below the others
at this level. Second floor, 4 sash windows, 3x2 panes. N end
bay, receding from projection and on line of main block has
ground-floor blocked window, first and second floors original
window apertures on each floor reduced in C20 work to take new
windows. S end, receding to line of main block, Ground floor,
set forward as separate unit in line with projecting wing and
with hipped C20 felted roof - 4 sash windows, 2x4 panes. Main
house, first floor, 2 window apertures, second floor, 3 sash
windows, 3x2 panes, ground floor has projection to S in
service court with hipped slated roof. S end elevation. Ground
floor service buildings projecting and continuing towards E
are not to be included in the listing. First floor, blind
window and one window aperture, second floor one blind window
and one sash 3x2 panes and stone panel between inscribed I.W
Ano 1726. Parapet with central stack with stone coping and a
sunken panel each side. Second later stack to back. N end
elevation. Main house block and projecting wing to E set back
one bay. 2 stacks, one central to each unit, simple cornice
and string courses. Ground floor plain. First floor 3 blind
windows, 2:1, one window aperture to W end. Second floor, 4
blind windows, 2:2. Parapet has sunk panels on principal
INTERIOR is being refurbished and subdivided into flats.
Entrance hall has fielded panelled walls and chimney-piece
with stone surround. Stone paved floor with diagonally set
small black squares on white background and central star
pattern. Oak, dogleg stair with open strings, 3 banisters to
each tread and carved brackets and shaped handrail. Corinthian
newel posts, ornamental banisters alternating with twist and
flute decorations, panelled dado. Ground floor room of
projecting wing has fielded panelling and dentilled cornice.
The exterior brickwork is very uniform and has fine jointing.
The contrast between the total uniformity of the front
elevation and the irregularity of windows and door grouping on
the rear projecting wing suggests that the wing is an
afterthought or possibly a rebuilding of a structure that was
already on site and was adapted to the new front block.
Listing NGR: TQ5514895597
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings