This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8277 / 50°49'39"N
Longitude: -0.1555 / 0°9'19"W
OS Eastings: 529998
OS Northings: 104754
OS Grid: TQ299047
Mapcode National: GBR JP3.3HH
Mapcode Global: FRA B6KX.96R
Plus Code: 9C2XRRHV+3Q
Entry Name: St Anne's Convent
Listing Date: 10 September 1971
Last Amended: 2 November 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365581
Location: Goldsmid, Brighton and Hove, BN3
County: Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Goldsmid
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Brighton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ2904NE LANSDOWNE ROAD
579-1/19/87 (North side)
10/09/71 St Anne's Convent
(Formerly Listed as:
St Anne's Childrens Home)
Villa, now convent. Early C19, enlarged c1900, refenestrated
Render over brick, brick additions, hipped slate roof to
original house, clay tiles to additions.
Plan: original square block, entered on the north front, now
entered on the west at the junction with additions to north.
South front: 2 storeys over basement, 3 bays, moulded cornice,
flat string course, moulded surrounds to window openings,
first floor mullioned and transomed wooden casements, ground
floor pivoted upper lights and fixed lower lights, blind boxes
West front of 3:2:1:3 bays, end 4 bays right are the original
building, late C19 gabled wooden porch in fourth bay right
approached by flight of steps with solid balustrade returned
as bottle balustrade around south front of property.
Interior partly inspected. Greek Revival style frieze and
capitals to stair hall entrance, cantilever stair with pretty
cast-iron balusters of a stylised wheatsheaf design, coved
ceiling with 3 paterae beyond; the 3 bays of the south front
are now occupied by the chapel (not inspected).
Built as Wick Lodge, the house was surrounded by a verandah on
the south and west fronts as shown on the 1877 OS map; the
additions to north are shown on the 1909 OS map when the
building was then known as St Michael's Hall and was,
according to the street directories, a school for ladies.
Later it became Claremont School, and c1947 became a
children's home in the care of the sisters of the Poor
Servants of the Mother of God; it is now a day centre, with
accommodation for homeless women.
Listing NGR: TQ2999804754
Other nearby listed buildings