This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7189 / 51°43'8"N
Longitude: -1.9713 / 1°58'16"W
OS Eastings: 402079
OS Northings: 202243
OS Grid: SP020022
Mapcode National: GBR 3QY.0G6
Mapcode Global: VHB2Q.S263
Entry Name: Friends Meeting House
Listing Date: 14 June 1948
Last Amended: 24 May 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1206705
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365454
Location: Cirencester, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Cirencester
Built-Up Area: Cirencester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cirencester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/11/2016
THOMAS STREET (south side),
Nos. 51 and 53,
Friends Meeting House
(Formerly Listed as: THOMAS STREET (South side) No. 51)
(Previously listed as: THOMAS STREET (South side) Friends Meeting House)
Quaker meeting house and attached house. 1673 with major
alterations and extension 1809-1811, porch and minor rooms
added 1865; house early C19 with later alterations. Meeting
house is coursed squared limestone rubble, 1865 addition in
coursed squared limestone; stone slate roof, corrugated
asbestos on 1865 lean-to extension; external stack to left end
now closed off. House is coursed squared limestone; Welsh
slate hipped parapeted roof, with hip facing street; brick
ridge stack and stone lateral stack to right.
Meeting house is range of 2 meeting rooms parallel to and set
back from street; earlier portion to left is larger and
includes central through-passage. Porch and minor rooms added
1865 as lean-to on street front. House to left occupied by
caretaker is linked internally to meeting house at ground
floor and attic.
Meeting house range is single-storey and attic, 3-windows.
Porch extension has three 2/2-pane sashes in round-headed
openings with chamfered reveals in flat stone surrounds, pair
of 4-panel doors with simple fanlight to left in similar
surround. Windows and door linked by unmoulded impost band;
low parapet and coping with raised portion to centre with
flanking brackets with incised lettering FRIENDS MEETING
HOUSE. Pair of part-glazed 6-panel doors to far right into
Rear elevation to garden has 5 early C19 round-headed sash
windows with intersecting tracery; dated 1673 and 1810 on
lintels of doorways.
INTERIOR has central stone-flagged passage flanked by screens
formed of 4 tiers of early C19 deal shutters hung as sash
windows with pilasters between forming sash boxes, capable of
being raised above ceiling height to remove partition entirely
except pilasters. Room to left has stone-flagged floor and 4
timber Doric columns supporting beams with step-stopped
chamfers. Coved ceiling.
Early C19 fittings include panelling to approximately 2m,
benches around walls and freestanding stand with panelled
front and two entrances with balustraded handrails. Room to
right of passage has similar panelling, gallery with front
closed off 1989.
Former meeting room in left attic approached via staircase in
warden's house has early C19 benches, and C18/early C19
chimneypiece. This room formerly continued over present
through-passage, now shortened by early C19 partitions. Roof
structure concealed by 3 panelled arches, probably C18, one
now beyond partition.
Warden's house to left is 2-storey one-window range. First
floor has one 8/8-pane sash in plain reveal; ground floor has
one similar window. 6-panel door with top 2 panels glazed has
simple fanlight in round-headed plain reveal to right. Plat
band over ground floor; unmoulded string over first floor;
Interior partially inspected; blocked 3-light ovolo-moulded
stone-mullion window of 1673 meeting house in ground floor
Quakerism in Cirencester dates back to at least
1660; a lease of this site obtained 1673. Regular meetings
ceased 1922, resumed 1949 and still continued. No.51 Thomas
Street was listed 23.7.71.
(Sources: Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses: Stell C:
Gloucestershire: RCHME: 1986-: P.80; Cirencester Museum
Historical/Listed Building Record).
Listing NGR: SP0207902243
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings