This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4781 / 52°28'41"N
Longitude: 1.6911 / 1°41'28"E
OS Eastings: 650748
OS Northings: 293089
OS Grid: TM507930
Mapcode National: GBR YT7.NC5
Mapcode Global: VHM6F.8ZD6
Entry Name: Mancroft Towers
Listing Date: 6 May 1983
Last Amended: 21 June 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207042
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391352
Location: Oulton Broad, East Suffolk, Suffolk, NR32
Electoral Ward/Division: Oulton Broad
Built-Up Area: Lowestoft
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Oulton St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM59SW PROSPECT ROAD, Oulton Broad
914-1/3/101 (North West side)
06/05/83 Mancroft Towers
(Formerly Listed as:
Country House. Commissioned 1889 from George John Skipper by
P.E. Back, built 1891-93. Red brick. Machine tile roofs.
2 storeys and dormer attic. Jacobean Revival style. Main front
to south-west is irregularly disposed and articulated around a
stepped gable to the left, a square entrance porch left of
centre and a straight gable to the right. Moulded brick
decoration from the Costessey brickworks, Norwich.
Fenestration of brick mullioned cross-casements, the principal
windows of 4-5 lights and under moulded pediments. The stepped
gable has a stack and brick diapering. Gabled roof with one
gabled dormer. Restrained stacks litter the skyline. The
north-west front is grudgingly symmetrical. Gables to right
and left with 4-5 lights to the cross-casements, all under
pediments. 2-light attic windows, also with pediments.
Internal angles with crenellated 2-storey towers separated by
a central gable: cross-casements again, now without pediments.
The rear flank (north-east return) dominated by an off-set
4-storey crenellated tower with a polygonal stair turret
attached, also crenellated.
INTERIOR. Dining hall has a brick segmentally-arched fireplace
in the north-east wall under a coat-of arms. Above it is a
continuous run of timbered coving. Ceiling with sunk
quadrant-moulded bridging beams and joists. Fireplace wall
with small-frame panelling. Open well staircase: closed
string, splat balusters and moulded handrail, square newel
posts with carved griffins (the Back family crest). Music room
panelled throughout in large-framed early C18-style panelling.
Fireplace with imbricated jambs and cornice. Long Gallery to
Listing NGR: TM5074893089
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings