This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4534 / 52°27'12"N
Longitude: 1.7349 / 1°44'5"E
OS Eastings: 653860
OS Northings: 290496
OS Grid: TM538904
Mapcode National: GBR YTW.1G3
Mapcode Global: VHN43.1L0L
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret and All Saints
Listing Date: 13 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207045
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391358
Location: Lowestoft, Waveney, Suffolk, NR33
Electoral Ward/Division: Pakefield
Built-Up Area: Lowestoft
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Pakefield All Saints and St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM59SW SAXON ROAD
914-1/3/76 (North side)
13/12/49 Church of St Margaret and All Saints
Parish church. Unusual history. South-west tower of C13
origins, re-built C15 with the remainder of the building.
Until 1748 the building was 2 churches, St Margaret's
occupying the north nave, All Saints the south. From 1411-22
both were unified under one rector, Robert Graunt, who
demolished the dividing wall and constructed the arcade and
made the principal medieval alterations. After 1422 the
churches were re-divided until 1748. Restored 1929-38, burnt
by incendiary bombs 1941, re-built 1946-50.
Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Thatched roofs.
2 naves and continuous chancels, south-west tower and south
porch. Stepped buttresses to the north and south flanks, the
NORTH NAVE has diagonal corner buttresses. Arched north nave
door. Four 3-light Perpendicular windows under square heads,
very restored. Early C14 three-light reticulated west window
with quatrefoils in the reticulation units, also much
restored. Early C14 three-light reticulated east window with
quatrefoils and trefoils, the lights filled with flint 1949.
C20 vestry abuts the west gable.
The SOUTH NAVE has a 2-stage unbuttressed west tower. Two
lancets to the west side. String course to the set-off under
the C15 belfry stage: 2-light reticulated belfry windows north
and south; arched louvred windows east and west. Crenellated
parapet. Gabled S porch with diagonal buttresses. Eroded roll
and wave-moulded jambs. Wall sundial in gable-head. One
trefoil light in east and west sides. Four 2- and 3-light
Perpendicular south windows under straight heads, all C20
restorations or replacements. Low priests' door to chancel.
3-light reticulated chancel east window of C20 character.
INTERIOR. 7-bay arcade divided into 5 to naves, 2 to chancel.
Octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Scissor-braced
roofs of 1946-50. Rood screen extends entire width. 1411-22,
canopy demolished 1767, all but 17 cusped dado panels
destroyed 1941, re-built without canopy 1946-50. Octagonal
late C14 font on a plinth. The stem has lions crouching
against it, the bowl the symbols of the Evangelists and 2
white harts of Richard II. Set into the north wall is a brass
to John Bowf and wife, 1417, with inscription. Figures in
civil costume, predella with 2 sons and 9 daughters. In the
south chancel a brass to Richard Folcard, 1451, half-figure,
inscription, academical dress. On the west wall a Royal Arms
of Charles II, painted.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Suffolk: Harmondsworth:
Listing NGR: TM5386090496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings