This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4534 / 52°27'12"N
Longitude: 1.7349 / 1°44'5"E
OS Eastings: 653860
OS Northings: 290496
OS Grid: TM538904
Mapcode National: GBR YTW.1G3
Mapcode Global: VHN43.1L0L
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret and All Saints
Listing Date: 13 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207045
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391358
Location: Lowestoft, East Suffolk, Suffolk, NR33
Electoral Ward/Division: Pakefield
Built-Up Area: Lowestoft
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Pakefield All Saints and St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM59SW SAXON ROAD
914-1/3/76 (North side)
13/12/49 Church of St Margaret and All Saints
Parish church. Unusual history. South-west tower of C13
origins, re-built C15 with the remainder of the building.
Until 1748 the building was 2 churches, St Margaret's
occupying the north nave, All Saints the south. From 1411-22
both were unified under one rector, Robert Graunt, who
demolished the dividing wall and constructed the arcade and
made the principal medieval alterations. After 1422 the
churches were re-divided until 1748. Restored 1929-38, burnt
by incendiary bombs 1941, re-built 1946-50.
Flint with ashlar dressings and some brick. Thatched roofs.
2 naves and continuous chancels, south-west tower and south
porch. Stepped buttresses to the north and south flanks, the
NORTH NAVE has diagonal corner buttresses. Arched north nave
door. Four 3-light Perpendicular windows under square heads,
very restored. Early C14 three-light reticulated west window
with quatrefoils in the reticulation units, also much
restored. Early C14 three-light reticulated east window with
quatrefoils and trefoils, the lights filled with flint 1949.
C20 vestry abuts the west gable.
The SOUTH NAVE has a 2-stage unbuttressed west tower. Two
lancets to the west side. String course to the set-off under
the C15 belfry stage: 2-light reticulated belfry windows north
and south; arched louvred windows east and west. Crenellated
parapet. Gabled S porch with diagonal buttresses. Eroded roll
and wave-moulded jambs. Wall sundial in gable-head. One
trefoil light in east and west sides. Four 2- and 3-light
Perpendicular south windows under straight heads, all C20
restorations or replacements. Low priests' door to chancel.
3-light reticulated chancel east window of C20 character.
INTERIOR. 7-bay arcade divided into 5 to naves, 2 to chancel.
Octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches. Scissor-braced
roofs of 1946-50. Rood screen extends entire width. 1411-22,
canopy demolished 1767, all but 17 cusped dado panels
destroyed 1941, re-built without canopy 1946-50. Octagonal
late C14 font on a plinth. The stem has lions crouching
against it, the bowl the symbols of the Evangelists and 2
white harts of Richard II. Set into the north wall is a brass
to John Bowf and wife, 1417, with inscription. Figures in
civil costume, predella with 2 sons and 9 daughters. In the
south chancel a brass to Richard Folcard, 1451, half-figure,
inscription, academical dress. On the west wall a Royal Arms
of Charles II, painted.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Suffolk: Harmondsworth:
Listing NGR: TM5386090496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings