History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boer War Memorial, Approximately 75 Metres South of Overleigh House(Not Included)

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7536 / 53°45'12"N

Longitude: -2.7027 / 2°42'9"W

OS Eastings: 353763

OS Northings: 428806

OS Grid: SD537288

Mapcode National: GBR T9F.S3

Mapcode Global: WH85M.GX7B

Entry Name: Boer War Memorial, Approximately 75 Metres South of Overleigh House(Not Included)

Listing Date: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207232

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391878

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5328NE AVENHAM PARK
941-1/13/7 (North West side)
Boer War Memorial, approx.75 metres
south of Overleigh House (not
included)

GV II

War memorial. 1904, by T.Hodgkinson, sculptor, of Preston.
Grey granite, and polished red and pink granite, with bronze
plaques. Obelisk form, 25 feet high, consisting of 2 square
steps of unpolished grey granite, a short square pedestal of
polished red granite with moulded base and cornice which has
panelled sides containing lettered bronze plaques, and an
obelisk of polished pink Scotch granite (from Peterhead
quarries). The bronze plaques have raised lettering and
decoration, that on the south side reading: "IN MEMORY OF /
THE OFFICERS, NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND MEN / LOYAL NORTH
LANCASHIRE REGIMENT / WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE SERVICE OF
THEIR COUNTRY / DURING THE / SOUTH AFRICAN WAR 1899-1902 /
ERECTED BY THEIR COMRADES"; the plaques in the other 3 sides
list the names by Battalion. Originally situated in the Market
Place and probably removed to this site in 1926, when the
Cenotaph was erected.


Listing NGR: SD5376328806


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 2 February 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.