This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7573 / 53°45'26"N
Longitude: -2.7027 / 2°42'9"W
OS Eastings: 353765
OS Northings: 429221
OS Grid: SD537292
Mapcode National: GBR T9F.QS
Mapcode Global: WH85M.GT6G
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 27 September 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207254
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391946
Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre
Built-Up Area: Preston
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD5329SE CHAPEL STREET
941-1/11/67 (East side)
27/09/79 Church of St Wilfrid
Roman Catholic church. 1793, rebuilt 1879-80 by Ignatius
Scoles and S.J.Nichols. Red brick with much buff terracotta
cladding and dressings, slate roof. Nave on north-south axis,
with east and west aisles, east chapels and south apse.
Italian basilica style. Six-bay nave embraced by tall aisles.
High plinth dressed with sandstone, then rusticated terracotta
to ground floor level, with bands, frieze and cornice of
matching material. The gabled tripartite north front, the
centre breaking forwards slightly, has a large round-headed
doorway with very elaborate terracotta surround including
tympanum with reliefs, and flanking side doors in similar
style; a large circular window near the top flanked by
monograms and under an enriched pediment, and windows to the
tops of the aisles, of 2 round-headed lights, all these with
elaborate terracotta surrounds. The west side has high-set
round-headed windows with similarly elaborate surrounds.
INTERIOR: basilica form, with colonnades of massive Corinthian
columns in polished red marble mounted on square plinths of
black marble; coffered barrel-vaulted ceiling; marble cladding
to the walls and apse, in various hues, including giant
Corinthian pilasters; mosaic portraits of saints over arcade
to chapel; canted north gallery with ornamental cast-iron
Listing NGR: SD5376529221
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings