History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trustee Savings Bank

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7588 / 53°45'31"N

Longitude: -2.6969 / 2°41'48"W

OS Eastings: 354153

OS Northings: 429387

OS Grid: SD541293

Mapcode National: GBR TBB.01

Mapcode Global: WH85M.KS09

Entry Name: Trustee Savings Bank

Listing Date: 27 September 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207256

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391949

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5429SW CHURCH STREET
941-1/12/71 (North side)
27/09/79 Nos.14 AND 15
Trustee Savings Bank

GV II

Bank. Dated 1905 on plinth; for Preston Savings Bank.
Sandstone ashlar on plinth of polished pink granite (roof
concealed but probably slate). Long rectangular block with
front range parallel to street. Baroque style. Two storeys and
1:4:1 bays, symmetrical; ground floor treated as rustic and
1st floor as piano nobile, with moulded plinth, modillioned
cornice and balustraded parapet. The 4-bay centre has
channelled rusticated piers and large cross-windows at ground
floor, blocked pairs of Ionic columns at 1st floor and large
round-headed 2-light casement windows with glazing bars,
fanlights with radiating glazing bars, keyed architraves, and
small balustraded segmental balconies. The central pier of the
ground floor has marks of former attached lettering "PRESTON
SAVINGS BANK", and a foundation stone in the plinth with
inscription recording that it was laid by W.P.Park, Chairman
of the Trustees, in October 1905. The end bays break forwards
slightly and have channelled rustication to both floors; each
has a round-headed doorway at ground floor with rusticated
voussoirs and carved keystone, and a doorcase composed of
granite blocked Tuscan columns with sandstone entablature and
open-segmental pediment, decorated wrought-iron gates and
fanlights (the latter mostly concealed by modern signs), at
1st floor a 12-pane sashed window with triple-keystone,
pedimented architrave and small balustraded balcony, and at
parapet level a segmental pediment containing a cartouche with
swags. INTERIOR: banking hall has richly decorated coffered
ceiling with egg-and-dart frieze, folated modillions, massive
beams on foliated consoles, and geometrical-patterned moulded
plaster decoration in the panels.


Listing NGR: SD5413229404

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.