History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Deepdale Hall (Formerly West Wing of Preston Royal Infirmary)

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7658 / 53°45'56"N

Longitude: -2.693 / 2°41'34"W

OS Eastings: 354412

OS Northings: 430158

OS Grid: SD544301

Mapcode National: GBR TBW.W0

Mapcode Global: WH85M.LLTY

Entry Name: Deepdale Hall (Formerly West Wing of Preston Royal Infirmary)

Listing Date: 7 April 1988

Last Amended: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207267

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391974

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: St George's

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5430 DEEPDALE ROAD
941-1/5/94 (West side)
07/04/88 Deepdale Hall (formerly west wing
of Preston Royal Infirmary)
(Formerly Listed as:
DEEPDALE ROAD
Preston Royal Infirmary (Original
Infirmary Building))

GV II

Hospital building, now hall of residence. 1869-70, by James
Hibbert; altered. Red brick with sandstone dressings and slate
roofs. Long rectangular block. Mixed French and Italian style.
Two storeys over cellars, the long side 6:3:2 windows (the
3-window portion breaking forwards slightly and now covered by
modern link at ground floor), with sill- and head-bands, and
cornice with semicircular pediments over the windows; and
clasping corner towers which have coupled round-headed windows
in each side and very tall French pavilion roofs with
ornamental iron cresting. Hipped 2-span roof with similar
cresting at the ends, a central pavilion roof with corona in
matching style, and small extruded roundels in the slope.
South end has 5-bay loggia at ground floor with canopied
glazed balcony above. INTERIOR has large open ward on each
floor (Albert and Alice Wards respectively). Built as one of 2
intended wings to Royal Infirmary (opened 1870). Attached
later buildings to north, west and east not of special
interest. Forms group with Deepdale Hall (original main range
of Infirmary, q.v.).


Listing NGR: SD5441230158

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.