History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No. 47 Friargate and Attached Buildings in Rear Courtyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7605 / 53°45'37"N

Longitude: -2.7041 / 2°42'14"W

OS Eastings: 353677

OS Northings: 429574

OS Grid: SD536295

Mapcode National: GBR T96.J2

Mapcode Global: WH85M.FRK1

Entry Name: No. 47 Friargate and Attached Buildings in Rear Courtyard

Listing Date: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207283

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392020

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/04/2014


SD5329NE
941-1/9/136

PRESTON,
FRIARGATE (South West side),
No.47 and attached buildings in rear courtyard

(Formerly listed as No.47 Barronfield Gallery and attached buildings in rear courtyard)
II

House, now shop, with attached former dwellings in rear
courtyard. Front range dated 1755 on rainwater head (but
rebuilt), courtyard buildings early C19, altered (and now
derelict). Front of modern common brick in stretcher bond,
with sandstone dressings, slate roof; rear of red brick in
English garden wall bond (4+1), mostly painted, with slate
roofs. Double-depth front range, with narrow passage and
courtyard to right, rear wing, range bridging passage,
and pair of single-depth cottages along south side of
courtyard. All 2 storeys, the rear cottages very low. At the
front are a C19 shop-front surround, and the rainwater head,
which has a moulded base and cornice, and a waisted hopper
with raised lettering "IHM /1755". The long narrow
through-passage beside the rear wing, continued as a tunnel
under the rear range, is a rare survival of early C19 cellular
development which formerly predominated in the main streets of
the town, and the cottages, the only example known to have
survived, are of one-up-one-down type, with a segmental-headed
doorway to the right, a square segmental-headed window to the
left and a small square window above; that to the right has
very small partly-sunk kitchen-living room at ground floor.
Included as good example of early C19 housing.


Listing NGR: SD5367729574

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.