This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7639 / 53°45'50"N
Longitude: -2.697 / 2°41'49"W
OS Eastings: 354150
OS Northings: 429952
OS Grid: SD541299
Mapcode National: GBR TB9.6Z
Mapcode Global: WH85M.JNYD
Plus Code: 9C5VQ873+H6
Entry Name: St Ignatius Presbytery
Listing Date: 20 December 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207328
English Heritage Legacy ID: 392150
Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1
Electoral Ward/Division: St George's
Built-Up Area: Preston
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Preston All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD5429NW ST IGNATIUS SQUARE
941-1/10/258 St Ignatius Presbytery
Presbytery to church of St Ignatius. c.1835-40 (probably by
J.J.Scoles), with addition dated 1878 on gable. Red brick in
Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roof.
Irregular plan formed by original rectangular double-depth
range (now attached to enlarged chancel of church), with added
crosswing and further side range to left. Tudor style. All 2
storeys, with octagonal corner turrets, a string-course over
the 1st-floor windows, and parapet with stone coping. The main
range (the original building), a 3-window symmetrical facade,
has a central porch with coupled corner pilasters,
Tudor-arched outer doorway and Tudor-arched single-light
windows in the side walls, embattled parapet and glazed roof;
Tudor-arched 2-light mullioned windows with stone surrounds;
and similar windows in the right-hand gable wall, plus an
added canted bay in matching style. The wing projecting to the
left is in matching style, with one window on each floor of
each side and an arched tympanum in the gable with letters
"IHS" in a radiant sun and date 1878 in the corners; and the
2-window range set back to the left of this has an inserted
garage entry but otherwise matching windows. Rear very plain.
INTERIOR not inspected. Forms group with with attached school
in matching style, and with church (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SD5415029952
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings