History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7615 / 53°45'41"N

Longitude: -2.6866 / 2°41'11"W

OS Eastings: 354835

OS Northings: 429683

OS Grid: SD548296

Mapcode National: GBR TCW.SM

Mapcode Global: WH85M.PQW6

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 September 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207330

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392154

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: St Matthew's

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston The Risen Lord

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5429 ST MARY'S STREET
941-1/7/262 (West side)
27/09/79 Church of St Mary

GV II

Church. 1836-8, by John Latham, with transepts and chancel
added 1852-3 by E.H. Shellard. Punch-dressed sandstone ashlar,
slate roof. Nave on north-south axis with south tower flanked
by square wings, east and west transepts, chancel. Romanesque
style, with round-headed windows throughout. Tripartite south
front formed by 4-stage tower with 3-storeyed 1st stage
flanked by wings to the same height and gabled to west and
east respectively, each element with clasping pilasters and
those of the wings finished with squat pinnacles, each with a
round-headed doorway at ground floor, all in Norman style but
that in the centre larger and with 3 orders of unorthodox
moulding, the centre with 3-light windows on 2 levels (the
lower with blind outer lights), the date "MDCCCXXXVI" in
raised Gothic lettering between them and a corbel table above,
and the wings with one small window to the front, a similar
wndow in the side and a 2-light window in the gable. Above
this level the tower proceeds in 3 stages successively set
back, the 2nd and 3rd with 2-light windows which have cushion
capitals to the shafts, and the 3rd (originally replicating
turrets at west end of Tewkesbury Abbey) carrying a needle
spire with lucarnes mounted on a drum with corner cylinders
(from which the pinnacles have been removed). The 5-bay nave
has pilaster strips and tall round-headed windows set in blank
arches. The transepts have clasping buttresses finished as
square 2-stage turrets with blind arcading to the upper and
pyramidal caps, the east transept has a round-headed doorway
in the centre, and both have round-headed lancets. The
chancel, lower than the north gable of the nave, has 3
round-headed lancets and a circular window above. INTERIOR not
inspected.


Listing NGR: SD5483529683

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.